Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Thanks mom for doing your best on behalf of your children.

Good morning to one and all on this Wednesday, July 8, 2015. Most of you know that I spend some time each day working with my mom (91) in helping her to keep her computer going. I saw a sentiment on Facebook the other day that I thought was pretty cute. And clever. It was a message from a mom to her kids. "Don't complain about helping me on the computer. Remember, I taught you how to use a spoon." My mom always goes on and on about the little bit I do to help her out. To her it's a big deal. I always tell her that if she knew how little it requires of me she would be surprised. And, yes, I do appreciate her appreciating me helping her. I also appreciate her teaching me how to use a spoon. That reminds me. Last Sunday my wife, you know, the lady who made popular an unpublished song, 'These Shoes are Made for Traveling', well, she put together one of the most splendorous meals I've had in a long time. Melt in your mouth roast cooked to perfection with potatoes and carrots. Oven fried okra and field peas. Rice. Homemade cornbread. Fresh homegrown Louisiana tomatoes. Home canned pepper sauce. Iced tea. I knew it was good when I heard her complimenting herself. She never does that. She must have been as hungry for a home cooked meal as I was. Thanks mom for helping me with the eating utensils. That training definitely came in handy.

Granny Mac with two of her granddaughters, Teresa and Kayla.
Sorry, I have no idea what the doll's name was.
What's that you say? You are sure I enjoyed it all in moderation? Really? That's what you are thinking? Okay. I'll answer it this way. What planet are you from? To be honest it was in moderation when you compare it to the second and third helpings I would have tackled in the past. Ever since I was a kid I was known as a 'good eater.' I'm not sure why but I started liking me some home cooked veggies all the way back. Most of the other siblings were more typical. They were just a tad picky when it came to field grown produce. Not me. I also developed a taste for the veggies picked and eaten raw. Paw Paw could always tell when I had visited the garden. All the hulls strewn here and there exposed my visit. Today people have called the kind of food I grew up eating comfort food. I sure made certain I was comforted a whole bunch if that was the right name for it. I will admit my taste has undergone some changes but I'm thankful for a meal like we had last Sunday, for its immediate enjoyment as well as its ability to play back so many wonderful memories.

You wish my memories were perhaps a little more cultivated? Sorry. They belong to me. Good, bad, or indifferent, what you see is for the most part what you get. That's the good thing about those things that are so deeply personal. They are one of a kind because they come to you via your own recollections. Yes. I am very aware they can be polished, altered, and perhaps even cleaned up. It's interesting how that some folks looking back remember bad stuff and others not so much. I do know this. I am thankful for having the library of stored recollections that I have. And, I don't think anyone would be surprised to learn that I am adding new volumes as I continue my journey here. I am also very aware issues can develop that will make connecting to the library more difficult, if not impossible. My thought is this. Enjoy those walks down memory lane and be thankful for them while you can. I know I do. I'm not just saying that. I really do. Now it is time to say so long for now and to wish everyone a blessed day. May God help us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: