Tuesday, July 7, 2015

"I'm pickin' up good vibrations...." The Beach Boys

Hello friends and neighbors along with any and all casual cyber observers, I bring you greetings on this Tuesday, July 7, 2015. Last Friday morning, on a holiday, I was up very early and began mowing around 8 a.m. I know. I know. The neighbors were likely so happy that I was doing that. Actually, I know our neighbors and I don't think I was bothering them. At any rate, I do have a companion that always shows up when I mow. It's a little hard to tell if it's the same fellow each time because they all wear exactly the same uniform. It's only when I mow that they show up. Mockingbird. I'm not sure if it is the daddy or the mommy or even junior or missy but they tend to spot stuff moving around as I run up and down the yard. When they spot what they are looking for they swoop down, grab hold of it, and fly up to the street light pole and gulp it down. They have to eat in a hurry because next thing you know they are going after another one. And another one. It may be their version of playing the game, 'bet you can't eat just one'. That's about the only time they pay close attention to me or my work. But that's okay. I'm glad to be of service. Now and then. See you next time, friend.

I wanted the yard to look spiffy for the wife's return. Turns out she is only here for a layover as she will again be leaving me this upcoming Friday. She was invited to go to Branson for a brief vacation. She'll be joining three other ladies, her sister and two other ladies from over in Louisiana. Those three ladies have a lot in common. They are all widows. I'm not sure if my wife has been made an honorary member of their little group but as she so succinctly put it, "I'm the only one with a husband." We love widows. We have several in our local fellowship. The Apostle Paul had something to say about widows who choose not to remarry in how they are able to serve without the encumbrances of having a spouse. He didn't say it was a bad thing for them to remarry. He said that if they chose not to they would have more freedom to serve the Lord. (1st Corinthians, Chapter 7) Meanwhile, back on the homefront where the mowing takes place and where the mockingbirds roam, I was trying to take all of this in. On the one hand I'm glad she is going to Branson because no one loves to go there more than her. On the other, I'm trying to not feel like I'm an impediment to her full club membership. You do know I am absolutely kidding. Do they still have food testers for hire?

Last Friday afternoon the wife and I were able to visit a wonderful brother in Christ in the hospital in the downtown mega medical center. We've known him and his wife and family since 1976. They are special to us. He's dealing with pancreatic cancer. At 81 that's about as challenging as it gets. We were able to share a prayer with him and his family. On Sunday after services we visited another older gentleman from our local fellowship in a long term care facility. It's been a difficult transition for him in having to be there. However, he does require the special care provided there. After a prayer with him we then went on to visit another dear lady who is in an assisted living facility. She was in the lunchroom. We were able to briefly visit and share a prayer with her as well. The looks on the people's eyes in that lunchroom were enough to break your heart. I know some people who refuse to go into places like that because of it being such a downer. I will tell you this. It is an humbling experience but bringing a smile to someone whose physical limitations requires that type of special care, well, it is huge to them but it is also a God sanctioned privilege for us to be able to do it. May God provide in each of these situations is my prayer. Take care. God bless. See you next time. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: