Friday, May 30, 2014

“Three phrases that sum up Christmas are: Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men, and Batteries not Included”. – English Proverb

Good morning. Even though it is Friday, May 30, 2014, believe it or not, there are some experts who are, even as we go about our daily chores, thinking about nothing but Christmas. That would be correct my friend because it is time for the retailers to place their orders for the upcoming season. They do have a lot of data to work with but the economy has been all over the page, therefore, this year's planning will likely end up being more of an educated guess than a sure thing. One thing they have learned. The retailers that got people into their stores for the black Friday sales event were the most likely to have a successful selling season. Essentially, they are challenged to find what will sell and what they can get people to like and buy. Six months in advance. They do know quite a bit about the shoppers based on mining data from every source imaginable. So much plays into it. The number of days between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The weather. The money available for families to spend. The products that will become must haves. There are some certainties we can count on in the midst of all this guessing. It will still be the time when we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior. And, for a fellow like me, there will likely still be kids of all ages who want to sit on the jolly old elf's lap.

Photo my nephew put up on Facebook.
The jolly old elf angle is where I've been connected as a participant over the past several years, therefore, reports like this cause my antenna to go up when I read about matters that will impact the season. I do enjoy keeping up with family and friends on Facebook. The other day my nephew put a photo up of the individual serve container of Community he had enjoyed when they visited us. He had taken the photo because he didn't want to forget exactly which one it was. Why? Because it was sooooo gooooood! I don't think he spelled it exactly like that but that was the gist of his sentiment. He put that photo up on Facebook and that made me to know that my work on behalf of Community has not been in vain. That's the good stuff on Facebook. The huge number of folks who play games on Facebook, well, I, for one, could do without knowing anything about their scores, their invitations for me to play, and any of the other jargon forth and back between them and their fellow players. I have never played even one. Period. They say that playing electronic games are good for older folks to keep your mind active. My wife will soon be a genius. She plays games on her computer tablet until she gets tired and then she grabs hold of her smart phone and plays some more. I look for both devices to soon be smoking from the overload. Then we will have to sit in the smoking section. Life can be tough folks. Tough indeed!

I do appreciate those who hang in there with me each day. I get feedback from time to time. I suppose one of the things I enjoy most is to hear that something I wrote about triggered a special memory for someone. I know how that feels because often that is exactly my thoughts as I share. Special people. Special times. Special memories. For the most part they reflect the ordinary living of life but looking back they become a source of sweet remembrance. I have known folks who want to never remember even a single recollection from their past. I don't know what all they had gone through but I do know that must be a very sad situation. Sad indeed! It causes me to be thankful for those crammed files stacked up on top of each other and filled with mental images, facts, funnies, and yes, sad times as well, those that clutter up this old mind of mine. Maybe that's why some people think of my mind as if it was a minefield. Now I understand. Proceed with caution. Thanks for helping me to clear that one up. Have yourself a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. If all goes according to plan, Lord willing, I'll catch up with you on Monday here at the ole blogger fence row where we can chat forth and back. May God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: