Wednesday, May 14, 2014

"A happy family is but an earlier heaven." George Bernard Shaw

Good morning out there in blogger-world, it's good to make contact with you on this Wednesday, May 14, 2014. This is a personal blog, therefore, I do write quite often about personal things, especially things like my family. We have a remarkable blended family. Mom and dad will, in a few months, celebrate their 37th wedding anniversary. When we had the big blowout for mom's 90th birthday our big blended family came together to honor her. My step dad who is truly my dad was well represented by his own kids and their kids. The photo shows mom and dad and his entourage who helped make her day so special. These folks are our family as much as if they carried our blood. I know how easy it is to sound like I'm bragging but I think the word blessed is more appropriate. These two families came together nearly 37 years ago and we've stuck together throughout these years. Through thick and thin. When our brother Donald passed away, I conducted his service and Victor, dad's son, our brother, read the obituary and made remarks. You hear the word blended tossed about a lot today, but, I might just be tempted to use the word fused instead. Don't really know how it happened but it did and we are the better for it and we thank God for these wonderful members of our family. Amen.

I've been thinking about sending those folks a shout out for the past several days. And, let me say this about that. Folks, if you have something you want to say to someone, don't wait until you get around to it. Why? Well, we all know how temporary this life is and how that on any given day things can change dramatically. The old saying comes to mind. "Give me my flowers now while I can still smell them." I have tried to practice that to some degree over the years. When you sit down and think about others in your family and those outside who have contributed to your life, a fellow like me can stay busy just passing out thanks. One thing is sure. You will never regret showing gratitude to those who have been special to you in your life. On the flip side, there are some I wish I had said more to before they left this life. I'm not preaching a message today, just passing on some little bit of what I have learned in this life. And, while I am thinking about it, thanks for tuning in, thanks for the encouragement I receive in this little daily writing exercise, and thanks for just being there. Amen.

"That's a lovely dress you're wearing, Mrs. Cleaver."
Of course it has to be sincere. Have you ever noticed how even a little kid can spot a phony a mile off? We all have been around folks who shower others with eloquent praise as more of a sales job than it coming from the heart. We've always called it the Eddie Haskell treatment in our home. You remember Eddie, don't you? He was the friend of Wally Beaver who always went overboard in his flowery words to Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver, while Wally and the Beav knew him to be a little devil at heart. (The parents knew that as well.) Okay. It doesn't work well if you've never watched Leave It To Beaver. We did. Our boys did. Guess what? When we or they bump into someone that is obviously smooching up in fake ways to others, well, we and they still call them Eddie Haskell, regardless of them being male or female. Point? Don't be an Eddie. Mean it from your heart. And if you have it in your heart, well, share it. It will do you good and those you recognize will be lifted up. That's a good thing! Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: