Friday, May 16, 2014

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." ~ Albert Einstein

You just never know what you might run into here at the ole blogger ranch. The other day someone was telling me they had learned something they had never known by reading one of my daily episodes. My advice is to always fact check everything, regardless of its source. It's Friday, May 16, 2014 and I'm trying to figure out, even at this late date, just what it would take to make me smarter. I read about a fellow up in Washington State who was attacked outside a bar a few years ago. He received a severe beating by two robbers. He had gone into the karaoke bar as an 'average Joe' but upon leaving, his life was forever changed. After recovering from his injuries and leaving the hospital, he suffered from the results of a severe concussion and he had to deal with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). However, he also awakened from his ordeal as a mathematical genius. He suddenly was able to see the entire world through the lens of geometry, fractals, and mathematical structures. Through his trauma he had unlocked a part of his brain that brought on this monumental transformation. It's a rare but recognized outcome called acquired savant syndrome. He had struggled to make it through Pre-Algebra in college, now he is finishing his degree where he will specialize in number theory. Here's my take. My grandfather was on to something. Why else would he advise me on more than one occasion, "Come over here and I'll knock some sense into your head." Who knew? I guess he did. No. I'm not looking for volunteers to knock my head around and remember it is very rare.

How rare? No more than 25 cases have ever been reported on in the medical world. Sadly, this individual's new found intelligence comes with a lot of baggage since his mental stability is questionable and he finds it very difficult to go anywhere that people congregate. It seems that in life it's always something. That too is a part of making it in this old world. Hopefully he can utilize this unexpected skill to make a contribution. That leaves me to wonder about myself. I suppose I will have to take what I have and do the best I can with it because I'm certainly not wanting to try out the severe beating to see if I come out smarter approach. And, by the way, using what we have is all we are required to do. I remember a fellow telling me one time that if he had a huge amount of money he would take care of a significant need in our local fellowship. I told him that all he needed to do was what he could do based on his ability and if everyone did that, well, we would make progress. I don't really know where it came from at the time but I've often thought that it was pretty good advice even if I was the one giving it. The worst thing we can do is to overstate our poverty because most of us can typically do much more than we might think if we put our hearts and minds to it. Amen.

I suppose I am ending the week waxing somewhat philosophical, that is, if I am even capable of doing so. I'll have to get back to you on that one. It's been a good week. Cooler air came to town and on behalf of myself and the Community Coffee Company I just want to thank the good Lord for His provision. I'll take mid forties in mid May anytime they can be arranged. That calls for a celebration. Another cup sounds good to me. Please don't report me to the caffeine abuse people. To be honest I've already got enough to say grace over on my plate. But, I know you do too. You do too. I occasionally deal with an older lady who still carries a slight accent from the old country. (Maybe Greece.) She and her family are wonderful people who have built a very successful business. When we conclude our conversation and I tell her to have a nice day, she always sings back to me in her beautiful lilt as if it is one word, "You-do-too!" Enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. I'll try to do the same. "You-do-too!"      ....More later.

No comments: