Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Merriam-Webster, 'Racebaiting': "The unfair use of statements about race to try to influence the actions or attitudes of a particular group of people."

Okay it's Wednesday, May 7, 2014 and I suppose since I am among friends I can talk openly about some of the things that people think about anyone over 65. Last week's furor over the loony toon NBA owner who demonstrated himself to be an overt racist did have some overlap. Many of the African American athletes and black celebrities seemed to indicate that any white guy over the age of 65 most likely has the same views as this fellow. Not true. I think unfair and overly broad statements like that are at least beginning to edge into the same category as the stuff spewed out and captured on tape as spoken by that 80 year old owner. Did most of us older white guys grow up at a time when race and segregation were big issues? Yes. That doesn't mean we have racial hatred in our hearts, and I, for one, am offended by those types of characterizations. This doesn't mean I have to prove that I am down with all they do by liking the music they like, the conduct they pursue, or any other of their actions. We are all different. Liking different things doesn't equate to hate. I think kids, no matter what their color, who wear their pants half way down their legs, is an absolute travesty in appearance and respect, but that doesn't mean I hate any of them. The other day at Brady's baseball game one of the dads sitting close to me had tattoos all over along with metal stuff hanging off of his lips, nose, and ears. Not my cup of tea folks but I didn't hate the dude. In fact, he was excitedly supporting his little kid just like everyone else. Black folks were rightly offended by the things that owner said. But that doesn't give them or anyone else the right to include me in their response. Have I made myself clear? Good!

While I am on a roll let me get a few more licks in. The fact that we are not pet people does not indicate anything other than this: We are not pet people. I often wonder if we will find ourselves on a wanted poster plastered on the wall down at the local SPCA office. I've never been invited to the birthday party for a dog, cat, hamster, or any other pet. Sorry, but I'm not disappointed. I think sometimes people wonder more about us not being pet people than almost anything else. Deep down inside they have this concern over the 'why'. There's this company that I often visit. About a year ago they adopted a stray who had been obviously abused. She is very skittish. She looks like she might have some German Shepherd but is obviously a mixed breed. They have pampered her back into good health. She is very well cared for. In return she provides a thunderous bark to alert them to anyone on their premises. When I first met the dog she was very reluctant to have anything to do with me. I think someone told her I was not a pet person. Other than the growling and earsplitting barking she had little to say to me. Slowly but surely over the months I have gained her confidence and now she comes out barking but once she sees me she comes up for a rub. The workers there are impressed but I suppose they are thinking that it's pretty good for a fellow who is not a pet person.

Having said all that, I think I feel better. Not sure. But I think so. Our youngest son Rodney is 43 years old. He and the kids he grew up with like to put up those elementary group class photos on Facebook. They then comment forth and back. It's pretty entertaining stuff. However, when you look at the kids in the photo and then observe their Facebook profile photo, well, it really hits you. They are not even close to being kids anymore, but, more than that, what does that say about me? As if I needed any more reminders. The good thing about forgetfulness is how that, at times, you forget to remember your age. On a good day I am not into old thinking and then I open up Facebook and Bam! there it is, our baby and his friends sporting a touch of gray. But, that's okay when you think about it because I know that's exactly how it is supposed to work and it brings on a feeling of being blessed. One recent Sunday evening I was sitting in our Church classroom alone waiting on everyone to show up. I was visiting with my mom on the phone and had her on my speaker. One older fellow showed up and heard our last few remarks. After I said goodbye to my mom he looked at me and in a very sincere tone, he said, "Son, you are a very blessed man to be able to talk with your mom like that." My response, "You are so right. Right indeed!" Amen.     .....More later.

No comments: