Monday, May 19, 2014

"People who fly into a rage always make a bad landing." ~ Will Rogers

I'm not angry this morning. How about you? It's Monday, May 19, 2014 and I'm thinking about a subject we've probably all witnessed a time or two in our lives, road rage. I was not surprised that in a study published last week, the Houston area turned out to be number one in the potential for road rage incidents in the nation. If I were to be called as a witness I'm pretty sure I could give some insights into what happens most of the time when I'm out there. Very frequently we hear the lead story on the TV news and it opens like this, "Another injury reported today after drivers got into it out on the freeway." The published report stated that Houston drivers are most likely to cut off other vehicles, slam on their brakes, and talk on their phones. The other least courteous cities are New York, Atlanta, Dallas and Baltimore. Portland, Oregon was scored as having the most courteous drivers. I might have to visit Portland just to see that. I suppose the big question is why. One guess in the report was the sheer number of folks who have moved into the Houston area. There are 138,000 additional drivers in this area since the previous survey was completed. Some would say it's the condition of the roadways. My take: Cowboy mentality, jacked-up trucks, too many people who were never taught manners, and folks strung so tight you could play a banjo tune on them. However, there are some days and under certain circumstances when I, you, or anyone else just might be inclined to play our own version of the road rage boogie. Think about it.

If you have read my blogs for any length of time then you know that I do care about accuracy. Content might be lacking most of the time and grammar, well, it might be all over the place, but, I do like to get the words right. I have a team of proof readers who work with me to try and make sure accuracy happens on a consistent basis. The team unfortunately does not always function as it should. The team consists of: Me, Myself, and I. I do know that Eddie Haskell did his smooching up to the Cleavers, not the Beavers, as I had it in last week's little story. I got it right in the caption on the photo but had a hiccup in the body of the text. I thank my wife for letting me know because I always try to correct the original which resides out there somewhere on that giant digital information highway. Believe me, I will be dealing with this issue again, at our next staff meeting. You can be sure the proof reading team will get their own private version of road rage.

Let me close with a little more insight into this road rage situation. I've ridden with folks who get themselves into a frenzy just looking for an incident where they can let it all out. They are wired up before they ever hit the freeway. Here's the deal. My belief is that if you are predisposed to snapping when something you don't like happens on the roadway, well, something you don't like will always happen, every single time. Not being predisposed to find fault and instead going out there with an attitude that you are not going to be bothered by traffic issues is the best way that I know of to have a good experience, and it might just keep you off the evening TV news telecast. Let me repeat this truth. There will be something that you do not like in traffic every single time you get out there. That, my friend, is the reality. Being prayed up and positive will help us to change this less than flattering distinction about our area. Until next time, drive carefully and spend time in prayer. That will always help. Amen.   ...More later.

No comments: