Tuesday, May 27, 2014

“The government itself, which is only the mode which the people have chosen to execute their will, is equally liable to be abused and perverted before the people can act through it.” — Henry David Thoreau

I can hear that lonesome whippoorwill and today he is tweeting out a John Denver classic, "Ain't it good to be back home again." That's a little of how I feel, coming off a three day holiday, as I am sitting down to finish up and send out my daily dispatch. It's back to the scene of the blog incubator and I send out a welcome to one and all on this Tuesday, May 27, 2014. I watched the President's televised statement on the developing Veterans Administration scandal last Wednesday. If that was how the man responds when he is livid, well, he did a real good job of covering up the heat. Essentially, he said they were investigating and he would await the results. It was a pretty pitiful response if you ask me. For the most part the mainstream press bought it. The next day I checked the online front pages of the ten most prominent newspapers. Only two of them even mentioned the scandal on their front page. The NY Times' mention was only to point to an editorial where it appeared to be mostly focused on how the Republicans and others were geared up to use this for political advantage. I thought it was about delivering care to those who have honorably served our nation. What entitles me to speak on the subject? I actually worked for the VA back in the mid 1960's. I was directly involved in the process of clearing veterans for examination and treatment. It was extremely political back then and obviously the more things change the more they stay the same or maybe they even become more so. This administration made fixing the VA a top priority. The Congress gave them the money. After five years they have literally run out of people to blame although the tone of the President's comments appeared to be still trying. Incompetence is a kind word because intentional negligence that hastened the death of individual service men and women, well, that my friend is both unconscionable and criminal. They've worn out a lot of brooms but they might have run out of rugs to sweep stuff under this time. (I cannot blame anyone other than myself as I am 100% responsible for the foregoing commentary.)

I often tell people that having lost our dad so early (1954) and with mom and the six of us having to move from Texas to Louisiana where we grew up like we did, well, you just have to know that we were in many respects, pitiful. You know. The "Bless their hearts" kind of pitiful. Yet, I cannot for the life of me remember feeling that way. The photo is from a class picture made when I was in the 4th Grade. My teacher had actually also taught my mom and the rest of her siblings. If I had something not to be smiling about I suppose I must not have gotten the memo. Look at those iron-on patches on my jeans. Look at those toe scuffed shoes. Look at my cowboy shirt. I could just as easily have been a stand in for Opie himself. Don't get me wrong. I had my fair share of problems because during class I would rather have been sketching and drawing than tending to business. Sure. I was aware of the fact that mom was struggling to earn a living and take care of us. But she never made that a burden for us kids. The entire community seemed to me to be on our side. I do remember some specific events between myself and particular teachers. They would make for some good stories but rather than ruin your opinion of me, I'll just keep them to myself at this time. And, please don't send any comments about my ears. They were like that 'the better to hear you my dear'.

We were able to enjoy a very restful three day holiday and this was a tremendous blessing. It was, as they say, just what the doctor ordered. The wife asked if I was trying to catch up on my sleep because I did do some serious napping off and on during our time together. Sorry Paw Paw Mac, but I was for way too many hours laid up like a pack of sleeping dogs. Sure, I know you can't recover lost sleep but there is this recharging of the batteries that can give a boost. Therefore, I am refreshed and ready, thankful for the rain, thankful for the Community, thankful for the day that is before me, and ready to get after it. Our visiting preacher on Sunday said that he often says, "It is what it is." He said his wife was not that keen on that saying. There I was thinking that phrase was mine but folks, no matter what we are dealing with, it is good to know that with God's help we can do what we can do and He will help us all along the way. What's that? This refreshment probably won't last long? I'm aware of that because I've been there and done that too. However, we can be thankful for how God provides, period. Have yourself a wonderful Tuesday which is Monday for many of us and be sure to remember to thank God for His abiding love and presence. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: