Thursday, May 29, 2014

"Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby." ~ Langston Hughes, Poet and Writer, (1902-1967)

Already? Sure is. It's Thursday, May 29, 2014. On Memorial Day we returned home from our eldest son's house in a very steady downpour. We saw children out playing in the rain just like we did when we were kids. Old school all the way Baby! We also saw folks walking from wherever they had been to wherever they were headed, ever so slowly. All were enjoying the wet stuff falling from the sky. It conjured up in my mind that great scene where Gene Kelly dances as seen in the 1952 classic, "Singin in the Rain." Why is everyone so ecstatic about some raindrops? The old saying about not missing the water until the well runs dry might apply. After several years of near drought conditions, well, we have good reason to be thankful for this refreshing change of pace. We are not glad to see cars flooded out in intersections or homes with water creeping ever so close, but, we know the land we live on needs nourishment too. And, where I live it would be nice to see the sprinklers get a few days of vacation every now and then. We will probably have to add staff when the wife is away because she has our place looking so nice I wouldn't want to even think about something happening to any of it while she was away. I think you can see what I am talking about. Bottom line, praise the Lord, praise the Lord! Amen and Amen.

There's always some downside to almost everything. Right? Isn't that the way it works in life? The wife, she was so thrilled by the rain she went out to the garage and sat there in a chair enjoying the heavenly sight and sound effects show. After maybe 15 minutes she came running in and jumped into her recliner and covered up saying it had turned cold and she couldn't take it anymore. Turned cold? I could hear Paw Paw Mac quizzing me as I sat on that deer stand with my teeth chattering, "Son, 'whatcha gonna do' when it really gets cold?" But, I didn't offer to share that little insight with her. Speaking of stuff that really gets your goat, I returned to work Tuesday morning and opened my email, only to find a one day 25% off with free shipping included on Community Coffee. There was only one problem with the one day program. The one day was Monday and best I could tell, having taken leave of checking emails over the holiday, well, I too got a little chilly feeling, all over more than anywhere else. Aw man, I hate it when that happens! One day....my foot! Sorry. I wouldn't get out of control for too many things but Community is obviously one of them. You do know I am mostly joking. Mostly. Isn't 25% still 1/4 of the total cost? Just checking. New math and all. Please. No sympathy cards. I'm almost over it already. Almost.

Note to self: Try not to let that happen again. Here's one for you: A woman was walking down the street. Without warning, she was accosted by a particularly dirty and shabby-looking homeless woman who asked her for a couple of dollars for dinner. The woman took out her bill fold, extracted ten dollars and asked, "If I give you this money, will you buy some wine with it instead of dinner?" "No, I had to stop drinking years ago" the homeless woman replied."Will you use it to go shopping instead of buying food?" the woman asked. "No, I don't waste time shopping, the homeless woman said. "I need to spend all my time trying to stay alive." "Will you spend this on a beauty salon instead of food?" the woman asked. "Are you NUTS!" replied the homeless woman. "I haven't had my hair done In 20 years!" "Well," said the woman, "I'm not going to give you the money. Instead, I'm going to take you out for dinner with my hubby and myself tonight." The homeless woman was astounded. "Won't your husband be furious with you for doing that? I know I'm dirty, and I probably smell pretty disgusting." The woman replied, "That's okay. It's important for him to see what a woman looks like after she has given up shopping, hair appointments, and wine." I guess that's what one would call an object lesson. Take care. See you next time, and may God bless each one. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: