Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Small victories are worth celebrating too!

I come to you today with a thankful heart. That would be a correct reading of how I feel on this Tuesday, May 13, 2014. It is only 2 tenths but I'm pleased as I can be. My Diabetic A1c number has been trending in the wrong direction over the last year. Anything under 7.0 is considered to be within the targeted range of control. Over the past seven or eight years I have had it as low as 6.3 but recently it had increased to 6.8. That's too close for comfort, as they say. However, my test last week showed that it was back down to 6.6. That was enough for me to do a quick victory lap, at least mentally, and to pause and thank God for this positive change. I really like my current primary care doc who specializes in diabetes but he can be rather passive about it all. The note he sent me on the test results went like this: 'Diabetes is better.' Ask anybody who has this disease about how easy it is to move that needle in a positive direction, any at all, period, and then you will understand why I am feeling thankful. I desire to have it back near or under the 6.5 range and will continue to do my best to do what I can in making choices that help support this effort. Just 2 tenths folks and I know that sounds insignificant, but, that's a result worthy of a hallelujah, praise the Lord! Amen.

It's the good ole summertime and professional baseball is in full swing. Our local team, the Houston Astros, well, they continue to be in a rebuilding mode. They are currently in last place with a percentage of something like winning 3 out of every 10 games. (I could have said a percentage of losing 7 out of every ten games but I wanted to stay positive.) I admire those diehard fans who continue to support them hoping that someday they will turn it around. The Texans football team are coming off a woeful 2 win versus 14 loss season, however, they did get to pick first in last week's college draft. The giant of a fellow they chose has given a glimmer of hope in there somewhere. The Rockets basketball team made it to the playoffs but were eliminated in the first round. The Houston Dynamo professional soccer team is mired in the middle of their 10 team division. Like I say, there's just not a lot to write home about when it comes to the professional sports teams in our area. But, you can purchase your Astros Santa figurine if you are already thinking about Christmas because there's only about 225 days before the big day arrives.

I came in this morning in a pouring down rain. I really needed a car wash. It had rained most of the night, therefore, there was quite a bit of water standing here and there. In spots it was raining really hard. You know. The kind of rain that makes it difficult to see no matter how you set the wipers. I'm usually somewhere, give or take a few minutes, running near the same schedule every morning. I suppose that's why the coyote and I saw each other so frequently as he was punching out and I was on my way to punching in. Sadly, I think he might have ended up getting too close and personal with another driver because I haven't seen him at his usual crossing place for the past two or three months. But I did see the runner this morning. I've been seeing this guy, maybe in his fifties now, for the last five or more years. He is faithful and committed and he didn't make an exception for the rain this morning. That's what I call devotion. I always try to give him plenty of room and I don't think he has ever tipped his little hat to me but he did have plenty of water running off of it today. There's a potential for some flash flooding in our area but there's no way we will not be thankful for this much needed nourishing of our land. Have a great day and don't forget to watch out for the coyotes and the joggers. May God bless each one. Amen.  ...More later.

No comments: