Monday, March 24, 2014

"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them." ~ Desmond Tutu

Lock and load and get ready to rumble! Not really. It's just me and I do offer up a big howdy to one and all on this Monday, March 24, 2014. We are just back from Louisiana where we had a reunion of my wife's siblings and their families. It was the first time we had one of these since before Mom and Dad Rawles passed on to the other side, I would guess easily some twenty five or more years. Two of the the kids who used to run around at gatherings like this now now have grandchildren of their own. Blood. That's a powerful connection and it was wonderful to see everyone and to recall those who are now enjoying their heavenly home, but while here they had made a powerful impact on our lives. That could be seen as children of children of children reflected the values handed down to us all. I give credit to my sister-in-law Dorothy, (born 18 months earlier but considered to be a twin to my wife), for hosting, and for all those who worked so hard to make this a true time of family, fellowship, feasting, and fun. We all left having said it was a blessed day for us all. We thank God for it. Amen.

I did see that clip from Los Angeles of those two news anchors diving underneath their desks when the earthquake hit last week. It was funny. It almost looked like a staged skit from the Carol Burnett Show. Yes. I laughed, but I did so with understanding. I happened to be in a much stronger earthquake than that one at a computer conference out in San Diego many years ago. If you ever experience one, well, it helps you to be able to appreciate just why they sought cover. I found myself explaining to the wife about all those studio lights and equipment, and how, if they had fallen, it would have posed a serious threat. I will never forget being in this huge hotel ballroom when a 5.9 hit and when it did it not only rattled everything in the room, but it also rattled every person in the room. It's a weird feeling and one that I would never want to go through again. Of course at the time most of the attendees were not from California, therefore, we had no clue as to what was going on. We thought a huge helicopter had either crashed or landed on the roof above us. But, that clip was still funny. Especially so when you are 1600 miles away.

You know by now that I find it hard to resist a good headline. That's the purpose of a good headline. Right? It entices you to read more. Here's a current one that got my attention: Amish Buggy Sought in Pennsylvania Hit-and-Run. The story wasn't bad either. They are looking for the driver of the Amish Buggy that actually ran into the left side of a Honda CRV twice and then left the scene of the incident. The good news? No one was hurt. Twice? I think maybe the Amish fellow had been too long sipping on the communion wine, but that would be conjecture on my part. I'm sure the police are confused at this point. You know. As confused as an Amish electrician. Get it? Oh well, never mind. I could help the police. They should be looking for a kid who is so out of it he stays in the bed past 5 a.m. Or maybe, find the kid that is being defiant to his parents and when they try to correct him, he says: "Thou suck!" Get it? Oh well, never mind. I better stop while I am behind because it's clear that I won't be getting ahead on this one anytime soon. Take care. And, may God add His blessings to our day. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: