Friday, March 28, 2014

“If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane.” ― Robert Frost

I've looked around and best I can tell we can start wrapping things up because we are on our way to completing another work week here on this Friday, March 28, 2014. The other day I was listening to some classic clips from Groucho Marx as recorded and used in the days when radio was king. Groucho was Jewish. He joined a country club in Hollywood and was informed that he, as a Jew, would not be allowed to use the swimming pool. Groucho responded by asking if his young daughter could at least wade up to her knees since she was only half-Jewish. He had a very sharp intellect and a quick wit but one must wonder about, in the midst of the joke, how much pain he felt along with so many others dealing with this type of overt discrimination. That was a sad time in our nation's history. I listen to Groucho because his improvised one liners appeal to me. Here's a few to get your Friday off to a running start: ~ Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? ~ I have nothing but respect for you …and not much of that. ~ Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. ~ Room service? Send up a larger room. ~ Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others. ~ He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don’t let that fool you. He really is an idiot. ~ I never forget a face, but in your case I’d be glad to make an exception. ~ A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five! ~

Folks, that 1964 Bob Dylan song captured it correctly, "The Times They Are a-Changin." Right before our very eyes. I still find it hard to believe what you hear when you tune into a local AM radio program supposedly offering 24x7 sports coverage. At any given time you hear just about anything and everything other than sports. The stuff being talked about at times has to be borderline obscene. They talk as much about cheerleaders and strippers as they do football. It's like tuning in to an out of control college frat party. It's the same thing for ESPN. They are now a factor in the appropriately named culture war and they have a person on staff, (hired away from the New York Times), who actually attempts to push and promote their idea of what the social agenda should be. He recently said that if folks who like sports are tired of hearing about the social stuff, well, they had better get used to it because there's more on the way. He used the term, 'In your face.' Go to the weather channels/stations and you get the same stuff. They promote whatever version of political correctness they embrace. How did this happen? Well, for one thing, most of these outlets are all owned by mega conglomerate media companies that have the means and the wherewithal to pursue their politically motivated agendas. I suppose the idea is one of saturation and group-think where people by exposure and osmosis become puppets to their TV and Radio masters. I think the foregoing comments might require an opinion stamp but then again most of my blogs would need that designation.

You can't say you miss out on variety when you pay a visit to the ole blogger ranch. I think I've heard that it's supposed to be the spice of life. Whoever came up with that one had likely not read the type of variety I offer up. I'm sure some would prefer that I exercise my right to remain silent but with nearly 1800 blogs floating around out there, there's little chance of that happening, at least in the short run. I do thank all of you who tune in each day. I also appreciate your indulgence and the words of encouragement I receive from time to time. Someone out there is actually landing on the public version from time to time. Based on the stats, that would be some 118,000 page views thus far. I didn't say they intentionally landed on them but a hit is a hit and maybe someway or somehow something may jump out at them to help them along life's way. Or, at the least, to give them a smile. Another week and another bushel of words sent to make their way out onto the worldwide information highway. They no doubt get tired. We all do. You take care. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and I will do my best to catch up with you again, next time. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: