Monday, March 10, 2014

"I look back on my life like a good day's work, it was done and I am satisfied with it." Grandma Moses, Painter, (1860-1961)

Hello and welcome. It's a good day to celebrate. Something. Anything. Everything. I read that somewhere so I thought I would share it as a way of getting things kicked off on this back-to-work Monday, March 10, 2014. Reading that did remind me of a really good verse from Jeremiah that might help us all as we go about the this, that, and the other that will make up our day. "But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD." (Jeremiah 9:24) That obviously is from the old King James Bible but I like the way it uses the 'glorieth glory'. We live in a world where there's a whole lot of glorying going on folks about a whole lot of stuff. However, the inspired text from Brother Jeremiah would have us to know that on any day, every day, no matter what day it is, you do have something to glory in if you know the Lord God of heaven and He is your heavenly Father. Now that would be an appropriate matter for celebration, and I'll go ahead and speak for all of us by adding my own Amen to that. Amen.

It's okay to know the difference between being a small fish in a large pond versus being a large fish in a small pond. Or, let me put it this way. It's also good to know the difference between being a pygmy among giants as opposed to being a giant among pygmies. Confused yet? Don't be. I typically don't work with a net but today I am using one, so don't worry. I said all of that to say this. The other evening I was privileged to spend some time with a man I had never met. We had a specific reason for meeting and once that was dealt with we commenced to talk forth and back about a subject near and dear to both our hearts. The Bible. This fellow is a legitimate Bible scholar and before we knew it we had exhausted over two hours dealing with theological issues, challenging passages, and other related topics. I had figured no more than 30 to 45 minutes to take care of our reason for meeting. I was actually past my bedtime when I got home, but to me, it was nothing short of exhilarating. Oh yeah. I was also once again reminded of the truth expressed by the Apostle Paul in his letter written to the local fellowship of believers meeting in Rome, Italy: "Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! “For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has become His counselor?” “Or who has first given to Him And it shall be repaid to him?” For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen." (Romans Chapter 11, Verses 33-36, where Paul uses quotations from Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Job.)

The fellow I met with holds five earned college degrees. He is a practicing attorney, a preacher, an adjunct professor at a Bible college, and a man who does his best with God's help to lead others to Christ. You see, he fully appreciates that all of his studies piled on top of each other really adds up to zero unless one knows the Lord and uses what God has given to them to give back honor and glory to God. I've got 25 years on him, therefore, I know enough only to participate in the conversation, but, I enjoyed it. You can tell? That's okay. It reminded me of those days spent sitting out in the yard with my father-in-law, just talking, forth and back, about the Bible and our thoughts on certain passages along with discussing his more than 45 years of preaching, pastoring, and following the Lord. It also reminded me how much I miss getting the opportunity to have this type of interaction. Now you have been included to a certain extent and I promise to move on as we continue to keep on keeping on in this journey that God has privileged us to travel, together. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen.     ....More later.

No comments: