Thursday, March 6, 2014

“Each new day is a blank page in the diary of your life. The secret of success is in turning that diary into the best story you possibly can.” ~ Douglas Pagels, Author

I told my eldest son the other day that if this weather keeps hallucinating, well, I may consider putting Al Gore on my speed dial. No. I have not gone over to the dark side. It was a joke. And, just so you know, I don't even have a speed dial. In fact, I don't even have any phone numbers in my cell phone directory. I just thumb through the last numbers from over the last several days, weeks, or months, in or out until I find one that resembles what I remember the number to be that I'm looking for. Do what? Good. I'm glad you are happy that you are not me because I wouldn't wish this mess on anyone. But, how in the name of all that is good are you doing, anyway, on this Thursday, March 6, 2014? One lady put up that as far as she could tell this was about the only neck of the woods where a person could get a sunburn due to the heat and frostbite within a 72 hour period. That pretty much sums it up. Even the children are all entangled in this weather stuff, or, maybe when they were using the word frozen they may have been talking about the animated movie. I do know one thing, this winter has given more airtime to the weather folks than they usually get in an entire year. Therefore, I am going to be civil towards them for a change but I will reserve the right to alter that policy when the situation demands it. You know. Like last Friday when they didn't even mention the rain shower that poured down, or even worse, they didn't predict that I would be caught behind that group of folks trying to make like a rerun of the old TV show Wagon Train starring Ward Bond. Don't they ever look at that best ever in the history of the world radar that can spot a puff of wind 1,000 miles away? But, given the fact they've been so busy, I'll refrain from mentioning anything.

I know there are things being posted on Facebook that we all would just as soon not have to see. I can remember my lovestruck days when I would write letters to my girlfriend, who is now my wife. I was working in the summer in Florida and wanted her to know that I had not forgotten her and more importantly I didn't want her to forget me. However, the thought of putting that kind of stuff out there for everyone to see, not on your life, but, believe it or not, there are people doing stuff like that on their Facebook postings. Then we have those who want you to know every single detail of every item they engage in during their sojourn here on the planet. Also, you at times see those who use profane language and tell stories that shouldn't even be thought about, much less posted. Sounds like it is all bad, doesn't it? Absolutely not! It is a beautiful forum for sharing family news, prayer requests, exchanging Scriptures, and in general, building up those who are a part of your sharing circle. These features far outweigh the negative and they make us closer as we all seek to honor God with the life He has given to us.

I heard about one elderly lady that talked her way out of a speeding ticket by telling the police officer that she was trying to make it to where she was going before she forgot where she was going. Not bad. I've also been told to be aware that when you start complaining about the Jello being too tough at the cafeteria, well, you just might be showing your age. One older fellow lamented how that his wild oats had somehow turned into prunes and All-Bran. There's also the sad plight of one fellow who bragged to his elderly wife how that as her husband he had aged like fine wine. The next day she locked him in the cellar.  Here's one that I thought was pretty good. ~ There was a little old Christian lady living next door to an atheist. Every morning the lady would go out onto her front porch and shout, "Praise the Lord!." The atheist would always yell back, "There is no God." She did this every morning with the same result. As time went on, the lady ran into financial difficulties and had trouble buying food. One day she went out onto the porch and asked God for help with groceries, adding a "Praise the Lord." The next day she went out onto the porch and found the groceries she had asked for, and of course, she shouted "Praise the Lord!" The atheist jumped out from behind a bush and said, "Aha, I bought those groceries - there is no God." The lady looked at him and smiled and then shouted, "Praise the Lord, not only did You provide for me Lord, but you made Satan pay for the groceries!" Okay. Just trying to lighten up a little. As they used to say back home, "Sometimes you might as well laugh as to cry about it." Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: