Thursday, March 27, 2014

To drink the Kool-Aid: A reference to those who drank to their death in the 1978 Jim Jones, Jonestown mass suicide. It has now become a metaphor for those who blindly buy into and adhere to a particular philosophy, perspective, or political system.

The power of words continue to show themselves to be just that each and every day. It's Thursday, March 27, 2014, and as I mentioned the other day the words are flying all over the place in the Russian press. Their mainstream press is actually portraying, literally, their President Putin as the knight in shining armor doing battle with the dragon they call the West, mostly meaning America but also including the European Union. That's keeping the national fervor stirred to a fevered pitch. For now. Sadly, that stirred up emotion will not put food on the table and it will not improve the plight of the overwhelming majority of the Russian people. I point this out because it's so easy to see. Yet, the exact same thing goes on in our own land. It may be called spin, talking points, propaganda, or rhetoric, but it goes out to the masses, often targeted to certain groups. Sadly, we have reached a point in our history where it is difficult to get a reporting of the straight forward facts on just about any subject or event. That includes all sides. Why? Because that which is at stake is of the utmost importance. Power. Whoever gains it can use it to accomplish their own purposes and that is what is at stake. My way of looking at it as it relates to getting the straight story, and I do hate to be cynical, but, I pretty well see it all as needing to be taken with a grain of salt, from all sources. We need not laugh at the Russian people because we have many people here in our nation who have been offered up a steady intake of Kool-Aid and they gladly continue to drink it. It might be the Obama flavor, the Democrat flavor, the Republican flavor, the Libertarian flavor, or a mixture of all of the above. Here's the deal: The only source I know of that can always be trusted is to partake of that which is provided in the Word of the Lord. Amen.

I suppose that was stuck in my craw and it just had to come out. Let me help you decipher that one. Here's an explanation from the Ask website: "The expression 'that sticks in my craw' refers to something that really annoys you. A 'craw' is the throat of a bird. If something is stuck in a craw it is something that cannot be swallowed (like something that is annoying!)." I am very much aware that as I sound out and sound off on how I see things many immediately think I am setting myself up as the master of truth. Nothing could be further from the actual truth, but I am aware that if anyone questions or challenges these Kool-Aid held beliefs they are branded as trying to be holier-than-thou or superior in some way. Sorry. That will not work. I only point people to the Source of Truth. I consider myself to be the proverbial beggar that attempts to show others where they can find bread. Yet, I well understand this accusation because it is not new, and if someone is unwilling to have it said about themselves, they might just best keep their mouth shut.

Let me see if I can move on. I thought this one was worthy of at least two chuckles out of a score of five: ~ A professor was traveling by boat. On his way he asked the sailor: "Do you know Biology, Ecology, Zoology, Geography, and Physiology?" The sailor said no to all his questions. Professor: "What in heaven's name do you know about the earth? You will die of illiteracy." After a while the boat started sinking. The sailor asked the professor, "Do you know swiminology and escapology from sharkology?" The professor said no. Sailor: "Well, sharkology and crocodilology will eat your rear-endology, your headology and you will dieology because of your mouthology." ~ Here's an anonymous quote to end our time for today: "A person's most useful asset is not the head full of knowledge, but a heart full of love, an ear ready to listen, and a hand willing to help." Don't give me that look. I was surprised when I read what was on today's menu too. Take care. Enjoy your day, and, may God add His blessings to it. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: