Thursday, March 20, 2014

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer." ~ Albert Einstein

I choose Door Number 92 on the left. Thanks.
Hello one and all, welcome to today's visit here on this Thursday, March 20, 2014. I never thought I would be so excited. I suppose it must be somewhat like those who love to play slot machines. You anxiously await the outcome. You are hopeful and then BAM!...there it is. I'm talking about the number on that little meter I use to measure my blood glucose. Any time that little dude spits out a number of 100 or less I'm ready to do my version of the Monster Mash. No. I do not know how to do that little dance but I do remember the song. This upcoming summer will usher in my 7th year of making pin cushions out of my fingers. It seems like only yesterday that I saw 60 years of southern fried flash before my eyes. And, by the way, I do not get to be that excited about the 100 or less that often. But I'm certainly not complaining because with the help of medications, some restraint and control on my part, and by God's grace, I've been able to somehow keep it within what my doctor still calls, 'Excellent Control'. I write about this occasionally because I want to encourage those who have similar struggles. And, make no mistake about it, it is a struggle my friend, but I've found that getting used to just saying no is likely my most effective tool. Easy? Don't even get me started on that one!

I would be remiss if I didn't also mention the support of my wife and family in this long running medical series. She helps where she can and many of the grandchildren have picked up on the stuff that I should probably leave alone and they are good to remind me of it if I begin to migrate in that direction. I actually appreciate all the help I can get. I also want to make it clear that this is not a dominating factor in the life that God has given to me. It is something that must be dealt with 24 by 7, but, it's not the center of attention or even something that we talk about that often. I know that this could change over time, but believe me, I am very thankful to God that thus far it has been predominately a background issue. A very unwelcome one but given the plight of so many dealing with this insidious disease, I consider myself to be blessed beyond measure. Some have said that perhaps this came along to cause me to focus on those areas that would end up keeping me around a wee bit longer. That may be true but I do wish they would express it to me at some other time than when they are chowing down on a giant ice cream sundae. Joking only.


Now that we have covered that one, let's all take a deep breath and move on. All nations have their spin doctors working overtime these days. It's interesting to take the time occasionally to see how the rest of the world is reporting some of the same stuff we get here. There's no doubt that Mr. Putin is up to no good. He is making the West look timid, weak, and anemic in how we are responding to his incursion into Ukraine. However, in Russia, he is able to spin his actions as a way of standing up to America, Great Britain, and the EU, as a sort of hero taking on those who have belittled the Motherland, so to speak. Coming off the Olympics, he now has stirred nationalism to where his popularity is soaring even though Russia is in the ditch big time in nearly every economic or quality of life measurement. He flexes his muscle and we, thus far, have responded with our version of spin barking but no bite. It appears inevitable that he will end up with a new country as his prize. Meanwhile, the folks over there are enjoying their opportunity to mock our leaders for a change, as they see it. One last little footnote. The President sent Vice President Joe Biden over to the region to let everyone know that we've got their backs. I'm sure they will all sleep well now. Enough said. I've said it before and I will say it again, these are some strange times we are living in folks, strange indeed. Yet, we have God on the side of His own and that gives us the gumption to get up and go each day. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: