Friday, March 7, 2014

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." ~ George Bernard Shaw

Life's merry go round has once again stopped on this spot where we find ourselves today, a good day, it's Friday, March 7, 2014. I think we all know how important communication is to the health of any enduring relationship. I was reading a pastor's blog the other day and he included this illustration as a way of demonstrating how easy it is to lose touch: "Yesterday we had a power outage and my PC, TV and games console shut down immediately. It was raining (pouring, actually). I couldn’t go play golf, go target shooting – nothing – so I ended up talking to my wife for about an hour and a half. She seems like such a nice person." That would be way too funny if most of us didn't have a gnawing sense of how easy something like this could happen. That's the way it works at home. It's also the way it works with God. This reminds me of a song written by Mosie Lister and made popular by one of the greatest ever of the country music crooners, the late Gentleman Jim Reeves:

How Long Has It Been

~ How long has it been since you talked with the Lord And told him your heart's hidden secrets? How long since you prayed? How long since you stayed on your knees till the light shone through?

How long has it been since your mind felt at ease? How long since your heart knew no burden? Can you call him your friend? How long has it been since you knew that he cared for you?

How long has it been since you knelt by your bed And prayed to the Lord up in heaven? How long since you knew that he'd answer you And would keep you the long night through?

How long has it been since you woke with the dawn And felt this day is worth living? Can you call him your friend? How long has it been since you knew that he cared for you? ~

I tried that little funny story about the husband talking with the wife on one of the guys here at the office and he busted out laughing. We laugh because there's a kernel of truth there and we all intrinsically know it. Now. Whether we do anything about it or not, well, that, as they say, would be mostly in our corner. Even more so as it relates to our time spent with God. It's been another interesting week where I've been so busy watching so many different things seemingly going in all directions, that it causes me to wonder sometimes if I haven't overloaded my observation mechanism. I do my best not to be repetitive but I know to a certain extent it's unavoidable. We all have a basic viewfinder through which we focus in on things and that does show up in whatever it is we talk or write about. That being said, it doesn't keep me from trying to keep it fresh as best I know how. I do hope that you will enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and I will do my best to find myself hanging out at the same address come Monday. You know. Accessible via a search, keystroke, or from an email coming soon to an electronic mailbox near you, or something like that. May God bless. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: