Tuesday, March 11, 2014

On blogging: “In a sense who you are has always been a story that you told to yourself. Now your self is a story that you tell to others.” ~ Geoff Ryman, Science Fiction Writer

Here we go again. "Another day, another dollar." That's what the saying we often use evolved to say. It actually comes from an original quote dating back to 1897 that gave it this way: "More days, more dollars." One thing we all can agree on is that it does take a heap more dollars and often more work days to make it in these challenging times. I believe it was back in the mid 1960's when one dollar was still worth one dollar (100 cents). Today it's somewhere between 70 and 80 cents compared to that standard. That's my economic lesson for today, on this Tuesday, March 11, 2014. Since I often major in what could be termed as useless trivia, let me give you some more. A fellow by the name of Justin Halls is credited with inventing the first personal blog back in 1997. The name blog had not been used yet and his was called a web-log. Calling it a blog came on the scene in 1999. I didn't start mine until 2007, therefore, you can hardly call me an early adopter. I wasn't able to nail down a precise estimate of the number of personal blogs that are being posted today, but, we do know that it is in the high hundreds of millions, if not even more. This means that I feel very privileged to have my circle of readers who take of their time to work their way through my meanderings each day. Thanks. I am well aware there are other choices. At least hundreds and hundreds of millions of them.

I tell you, these elected trough feeders who supposedly represent us all, well, they are about to get on my last nerve. Nearly every day you hear and see a seemingly endless stream of fake, trumped up crocodile tears being poured out over the lack of comity at work in their trying to reach consensus and compromise. Activate: Gag reflux. That word comity has to do with practicing courtesy and considerate behavior toward others. The lament goes like this: "We need comity. What happened to our comity? Back in the day, comity ruled our work." I'm not sure history will bear out this supposed blight on how things have changed, but, I do know what has replaced it. Comedy. As in slapstick, silly stuff, and out and out stupidity. Many of them are pretty good at their stand up routines. I mean they can actually keep a straight face when delivering their fawned outrage over the outrageous shenanigans being perpetrated against them and their party. Their counterparts then try to one up them in a series of knock knock jokes that make those of us hearing it want to throw even more vegetables at the stage. Am I growing more cynical each day? Well, I'm not sure about that but I can tell you this: I stopped laughing a long time ago.

If you aren't clear exactly all that I was trying to communicate in the previous paragraph, consider yourself to be fortunate. I find myself often scratching my head after reading something I have written. This far into the process I suppose I've decided it comes with the package. In the midst of all the hypocrisy emanating out of the political realm, as a child of God, we still have more blessings than one could shake a stick at. That's how they used to say it back home. That more than you could shake a stick at has been in use at least since the early 1800's. It has to do with increase, more, an abundance, both negatively or positively. You could have more problems than one could shake a stick at, or you could have more blessings than one could shake a stick at. My point is that having God with us as we make our way forward doesn't guarantee the absence of troubles, but it does provide the certainty of His presence and His power to help us along our way. That's where the the more than one could shake a stick at comes in. Just so you know. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: