Monday, March 3, 2014

"Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody." ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Unknown
Welcome back friends and neighbors. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood according to how Mr. Rogers used to say it, even if it is 27° with a feels like of 16° as we try to get things going this morning. Thanks for showing up here at the meeting place on this Monday, March 3, 2014. Anyone who catches my daily dish of this, that, or the other knows that we do watch the Robertson's Duck Dynasty program. The huge furor continues over the comments made by the patriarch Phil where he expressed support for what he believes the Bible to teach about God's design for the human family. I just want anyone who reads this to know something. When you watch this program on the A&E channel, pay attention to the commercials they run for other programming on their same channel. They seriously considered cancelling the Duck Dynasty series because someone had the audacity of speaking up for biblical truth. Yet, they run commercials for programming they originate and it covers every perversion under the sun and that my friend is not an exaggeration. (Don't believe me? Check out the one for their series entitled Bates Motel and I think that will prove up my point without any need for further explanation.) Folks, I said all of that to say this: We all had better pay attention because this I fear gives us a clear indicator of where we are as a nation. Here's the inspired words of Brother Isaiah as quoted from the Old Testament: "Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!" (Isaiah 5:20)


It's almost like they are running these particular commercials as an 'in your face' response to those who expressed support for Phil Robertson. No. I am not paranoid. But, I can observe, in fact, that's what I often call myself, a committed  observer. I'm sure I might get some support with regard to having me committed but at the same time I think I've been pretty consistent in this claimed objective. My first blog written on May 9, 2007 quoted from Yogi Berra's famous line, "You can observe a lot by watching." I also laid out my approach in that first ever blog by saying this: "...I call this blog The View From Here because when it's all said and done, it's the way I see it. You most likely see it differently but that's what blogging is all about. We can speak from our viewpoint, our way of interpreting all the things we have to deal with, and in general, the viewfinder through which we see the world, and especially our world." Perhaps in the end I might even achieve another of Yogi's famous quotes, "I didn't really say everything I said." But, that remains to be seen and until then, sorry, but what you see is what you get, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Why? Why did I choose to write about this stuff today? Do you think if I knew the answer to that I would be laying here on the couch trying to come up with a plausible explanation? No. I would be the one sitting in the chair asking the questions. Just joking. Today's stuff was on my mind and you know what former Vice President Quayle said, "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is." I will tell you something that does make my day. When I am trying to remember the source for a quote or find an image or a song or something else I put the information into the search engine and BAM! it magically appears! Isn't that how it's supposed to work? Yeah, but let me finish. I put the info in and guess what ends up being the first source on the list? You guessed it. One of my old blogs. How do you like that? I end up re-reading it. The most recent one that came up like that had a YouTube link included where those cancer patient kids from up in Seattle Children's Hospital were lip synching that song that says whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I listened to it again and it linked to some cancer kids doing that Watch Me Roar tune and I watched it too and my heart was touched once again. That's right. That's the kind of thing that makes my day. How about you? Well, you can take some time and think about it if you like. In the meantime, get out there and have yourself a great day and stay warm as we ask God to add His blessings to it. Amen.   ....More later.

Here's that blog link that came up:
http://viewfrommypew.blogspot.com/2013/05/music-speaks-what-cannot-be-expressed.html

No comments: