Wednesday, December 16, 2009

WACK is on the air!

Happy Wednesday and welcome to my regular broadcast emanating from the short-wave radio that operates on an unknown frequency inside my head between my ears. Last time I checked it was still December 16, 2009 and we have a cool cloudy morning here. We are blessed to be working towards a Company shut down next week and that makes this week move like a run away merry go round. I have many places to go and people to see before we close the door on Friday but working towards a long holiday has its own built in motivation. Everyone around here has a bit of a spring in their step as we try to get things wrapped up. Speaking of wrapped up, it appears our President is about to get his big present called health care reform delivered to him by the Congress. He said this week that he would give himself a B+ thus far and if he gets the health care bill, perhaps an A or A-. He recently scored the lowest popularity rating of any American President for a December in a first term administration and he thinks he deserves a B+ at the low end? I thought the American people got to do the report card but obviously not in this administration.

Sorry but I couldn’t help myself, must have been some splatter effect into my frequency zone. Whatever. It’s just amazing no matter how you look at it. I think we all know there has to be some ego in folks who aspire to high office but this particular ego is in a class by itself, inflated with super helium and it’s about to burst. I said enough already and this time I mean it. I’m not talking about the man because I happen to think that he and his family are beautiful people. They represent the American story and show to the world what is possible in this great country of ours. While others talk about dealing with factions and tensions of all types and varieties, we in America can see a man of African American heritage become our leader. When I criticize our President it has to do only with his policies, his agenda, and his philosophy about issues. How could anyone not love the sight of those girls in the White House, lighting the Christmas tree, and generally having a great time? God bless them but also God help our President to be guided by that which has made us great.

Of course charity begins at home and I have plenty of stuff right close to me that can be worked on in terms of my attitude and my approach to life. Criticizing is much easier than getting up and doing something about the things that each of us can do something about. Ouch! We do have to be careful that we don’t become so focused on the other fellow’s missteps that we miss ours entirely. I’ve also noticed that some people who really do stand up for right can become very negative over time, so much so that even when they make a good point it comes across with a bitter spirit. I guess that’s why God admonished us to always speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). It’s the love part that we tend to leave off whenever we are trying to express truths. I often hear people preach who make the right truth from a wrong passage. This is a mishandling of the text. I suppose in the same way we can make a right point in our politics and in our standing up for truth but can package it within the wrong context, that would be one without love. That’s at least one tidbit for us to munch on this morning. May God bless. Amen. …..More later.

No comments: