Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Remembering my greatest Christmas.

Good Wednesday morning and welcome to the continuing countdown to Christmas on this December 9, 2009. I know folks who can pinpoint and describe in glowing terms their most memorable Christmas experience. I don’t have a specific one that I can point out, but I can surely say there are no bad ones that stick out in my mind. (What a blessing!) Christmas time has always been a big deal in our family. Maybe it was not a big deal in terms of it always being outlandishly overboard with gifts, but always a big deal in terms of how special it was. We have consistently emphasized the birth of our Lord and Savior in our observance, period, end-of-story. At the same time, we have also enjoyed the gifts, the festive atmosphere, and Santa. Some see a disconnect in this approach and while I can’t decide this issue for anyone else, we have in the past and continue to this very day to observe all of the above.

Sure, there’s always the first Christmas without a beloved family member that makes it tough but its also special to remember them in the context of the Christmases spent together and the memories made. My dad left us for his journey to heaven during the Christmas and New Year’s holiday of 1953-54. That unforeseen event forever changed our lives, especially that of my mom. Remarkably, my mom carried on and she did Christmas in a way that shaped it for us as we went on to make our families. I can remember when our Chris was just a little guy and how overboard I went in providing stuff that he couldn’t use or even recognize but I did so because of a desire to replicate the kind of Christmases I had so enjoyed.

We have always worked hard to have a beautiful Christmas tree. We are particular about it being just right. This was how my mom always did her tree. It’s funny to hear the grand kids talk about how that every ornament must dangle just so or it cannot be put on Poppy’s tree. I know folks that throw their tree together. Some even stand back and throw on the ice sickles. Never!!! It’s part of our tradition to do things in a certain way. Tradition, our family tradition, is a huge part of our celebration time. Over these forty-five years of being together, my wife and I have taken from both families and melded them into our very own tradition. It may not be your tradition and it may not even make sense to how you go about your Christmas, but it works for us, and we hope the way we do it portrays a sincere recognition of the real reason for the season as well as a time for family, fun, and fellowship. Do it your own way or don’t do anything if that is your way but always give God the glory because He alone is worthy. Amen. …..More later.

No comments: