Thursday, December 17, 2009

December 16

Today on this Thursday, December 17, 2009 I am thinking about yesterday, the 16th, because at different times during that day I thought about my older brother Jimmy. It would have been his 67th birthday. He was the first sibling of six to be born in our family and the first to leave us suddenly on March 3, 1962. Looking at a variety of events from the day he was born, WW2 with all its twists and turns dominated that day in terms of news. The wife of the President, Eleanor Roosevelt, scribbled in her diary some thoughts about how she hoped that our country along with Britain would respond after the war with a proper attitude and not become like those we were fighting. It was a world at war that greeted our brother when he made his appearance.

March 3, 1962, the day he died, the number one song in the nation was one sung by Gene Chandler, “Duke of Earl”. President Kennedy issued an executive order dealing with a railroad strike on this date. It was an ordinary Saturday in our sleepy little rural community. I was hanging out up at the Evans house with my buddies Lynn and Carlton when the phone rang. They said it was for me. That was unusual. I grabbed the phone and was told to come home immediately because something horrible had happened to Jimmy. I ran all the way home as fast I as could, my heart pounding in my throat. Jimmy was already gone. Just like that. We all went into shock and our family once again was plunged into grief.

Jimmy wasn’t that much older than me, just shy of four years but he had weathered the storm of us losing our dad, he had done his best to try and do his part to hold us together as mom and the six of us attempted to rebuild our lives, therefore, in so many ways, he was older. He was the handsome one of the family. Many thought he could have given Elvis a run for his money. My mind’s eye sees glimpses here and there of our growing up years. I am reminded of how he and our cousin Milton talked me into shooting off a firecracker in my official toy Royal Canadian Mounted Police pistol. They said it would be realistic but it destroyed the barrel and they laughed and I cried. I remember us living with my grandparents after dad passed away and how we would all huddle together in the bedroom next to the kitchen. Jimmy was only 12 or 13 but he tried to be the little man of the house in helping us all make it, one day at a time. At Christmas time when he was older he acted as mom’s helper in dealing with the gifts for us younger ones. Memories. Yes, memories of a life that was way too short. Happy Birthday brother. We thank God for the memories. A long time ago, but we have not forgotten. May God bless. Amen. ……More later.

No comments: