Friday, December 11, 2009

A hit now and then, along with a whole mess of misses!

Okay. It is Friday, December 11, 2009 and it is time for us all to wake up and smell the coffee, hot chocolate, or other suitable beverage. How in the world are you doing, anyway? Back in the day when I worked with folks who actually wore suits and ties every day, anyone who looked good but really couldn’t bring much to the table was referred to as an empty suit. It appears to me that our President is more and more looking like an empty suit, at least at this particular time in his administration. Ironic. Here is a fellow who is very intelligent we are told, in fact we know it to be true because we are told over and over again about how extremely smart he is. One historian said he is the brightest man ever to hold the office. He also put forth that he has the highest IQ of any president in history. When asked what that IQ level would be, the historian said he didn’t know but it had to be the highest in history. Is this bizzaro world, or what? President Obama is currently basking in the glow from his receipt of the world’s most prestigious peace prize within days of sending 30,000 more US troops into battle. You cannot make this stuff up folks. The only book that I know of that may offer some insight is the Book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ because we have never seen what we are seeing unfold each day.

But enough wailing and gnashing about all of that for a Friday. Hand wringing as a sport really does little to change things. I have been working out in the public for going on fifty years but I enjoy the people I work with today about as much as any I have ever worked with. I actually look forward to getting up every day and coming to the office. I get a huge kick out of the bantering forth and back and how special many of these people are to me. We do have some tension from time to time and because we are people, there can be some misunderstandings and even an angry exchange here and there. But for the most part we have an environment where serious work is done but there’s also room for a smile. We are so blessed to have an owner who has a God centered view of life including the conduct of our business. Just this week I’ve heard folks talk about how much they hate their job or how they hate the people they work with, or the pay, or the work environment. Therefore, even though I’ve made many times more what I make today and even though I’ve held higher profile jobs, you can be sure how thankful I am to God that I enjoy what I do so much. Believe me, it is a blessing.

Because of my age I do think from time to time about retirement but not in terms of being glad that I will no longer be coming to the office. I think about it mostly because it is a coming attraction in my life and when that time comes I will want to be engaged in productive activities of some kind. As a retiree, even if I were to expand my professional Santa career that would only occupy a couple of months. I do not envision myself spending entire days practicing my rocking chair skills. I would hope that with God’s help I will be focused on ministry opportunities beyond what I can do today. But, all of that will come in its own time. For now, it is a one-day-at-a-time perspective where I give God praise for allowing me to keep on keeping on. Life lived in recognition of all that God does for us, small, medium, and large is the best way to accomplish that level of thanks-living which honors Him, and treats others with love and respect. That one sentence kind of jumped out but I think my entire blog was worth it, in fact, I couldn’t have said it better myself, but that is what I said. Oh well, I’ve told you before and I’ll tell you again, it is not easy being me! Have a blessed Saturday and Lord’s Day Sunday, and I plan to be with you again on this same station on Monday. Amen. …..More later.

No comments: