Monday, December 7, 2009

Reflections, remembrances, and thankfulness!

It's Monday, December 7, 2009 and I am happy to report that we made it through the arctic blast! While we didn't get as much of the white stuff as other nearby villages we certainly had the cold. Low 20's for us and on Saturday morning we had about as big a white frost as you might imagine. We are aware that some 68 years ago today the United States was attacked by Japanese forces at Pearl Harbor on a Sunday morning with total surprise and met by total unpreparedness. Over 2400 were killed and nearly 1300 were wounded. I grew up around folks who could tell you precisely where they were when they got the news about Pearl Harbor. For our younger generations, it was the JFK assassination or the 9-11 attack that seared a memory because of its magnitude and people remembered then and we pause to remember today. God allowed this horrific incident to meld a united response which, as the Japanese Admiral who led the attack commented, awakened a sleeping giant. That giant, these United States of America, with God's help, went on achieve a hard fought and blood soaked victory in WW2. We remember!

On Saturday my wife and I showed up for our Santa show at the fast food restaurant. It was cold. Maybe in the mid-20's but when I made my entrance dressed in my full regalia the kids in the play area went bonkers. I thought maybe the love of Santa had waned in our post modern world, but I am glad to report that love is alive and well. It was our privilege to work with a lady who had the special photo equipment to make souvenir photo pins for each child. In our two hours there we likely shot at least 100 photos and even though it was cold outside, the children brought a glow of warmth that was captivating. I heard about all the variety of toys that children want from robots to rockets and from dolls to digital phones. My wife was so taken by the experience that she made it clear that next year she will have her very own Mrs. Claus outfit. The photo was one taken Saturday. Seeing how all of this worked does present a number of possibilities for us to consider as we move towards retirement.

Then on Sunday I was very privileged to do another appearance at our local fellowship of believers for the children's birthday party for Jesus. Our children's ministry director asked me to give a word of testimony to help the children focus on the 'real' meaning of Christmas. I actually led them in a cheer for Jesus and they responded beautifully. We did many photos in many different poses but it was a great time. Some of our kids knew it was me dressed as Santa but it was amazing to see their eyes light up whenever I asked them what they wanted for Christmas. Sure, we had some crying kids but not too many. Some really really didn't want to have anything to do with Santa and the picture of me holding on for dear life to their howling kiddo made a treasured photo for the parents. Very rewarding, very tiring, and very warm in that uniform! But I could not have been more blessed and whether it was the dude who was driving down the road with an expression that said he had lost his best friend but then turned to a huge grin when he saw me riding in our car, or the little ones who, much to their parents surprise, literally jumped down and ran as hard as they could to Santa, it was an experience of smiles that I will not soon forget. Jesus is the Reason for the Season and truly we are blessed to know Him and to enjoy these blessings! Amen. ......More later.

No comments: