Monday, December 14, 2009

Go. On your mark. Get ready. (It's Monday)

Welcome back to Monday. I do hope you had a productive Saturday and Sunday and are now ready for the work week on this December 14, 2009. I had another great Saturday playing Santa at another Chick-fil-A. It was a very busy and active two hour program punctuated by blasts of sheer madness. The autistic, mentally challenged, and other special needs children wrote their signature on my heart of memories and I will never forget their surprised looks, smiles, and their loving response to this jolly old elf. We also had a high school girls basketball team and they had their photos made in a variety of poses and groupings. These girls were transported back to their silly giggle days but we had so much fun as they were a handful both figuratively and literally. I also enjoyed photos with a very elderly couple who were filled with a sense of warmth and joy that could even be seen in their photo. Very tiring work especially the setup we used where photos could be taken every 10 seconds. Talk about squeezing a couple of hours until it squealed!

After finishing up with my Santa duty I hurried home, changed into my street clothes and left to attend the memorial service for our dear sister in Christ from my Sunday Bible Study, Crystal. It was a sweet service with music she wanted played and a couple of poems selected by her only granddaughter. Some of her family members stood up and talked about their loved one. She was known for her gift of gab, (they said it was a genetically inherited trait), her quirky way of acting, her sense of humor, but more than this she was best known for her simple and unashamed love for her Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. The preacher used that profound text from Psalm 116 where it says that the death of His saints is precious in the sight of the Lord. WOW! What a thought! I had also shared this same thought with some of the family at Friday evening's viewing. To think that God's purpose is so connected to His beloved children that to have them come home in death is a very precious occasion for Him takes your breath away! That is a huge deal and I cannot even begin to get my arms around it but I am so thankful that He sees us in that way. Amen? Yes, AMEN!

I love it when someone has such a sweet testimony that everyone appreciates. Working on mine would be a great improvement and Crystal's life does set forth how that a person's light can make a difference as it shines for the Lord. I have already been given some tentative invitations to be Santa next season. One involves a forty family block party with a snow machine and Santa photos. Who knows? This could turn into something more substantial as it goes forward. I feel gratified that I set out to be the very best Santa I could be and have had many testimonials that my goal was reached. I was really struck by the number of adults and their comments about how genuine I looked and how many of them wanted their very own photo with Santa. I am anticipating a very busy week ahead as we look forward to the Christmas holiday period. The fellow I work for will be leaving Wednesday and taking his entire family, kids, spouses, and grandchildren, to Hawaii for nine days. This means he will be leaving me and the other inmates behind to be in charge of the asylum. What a scary thought, in fact, I'm beginning to be a little nervous about it myself. Have a great week and may God bless! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: