Thursday, December 10, 2009

A time to laugh and a time to cry. (Ecclesiastes 3:4)

Here we are again and it’s already Thursday and I bring you a hearty greeting on this December 10, 2009. Okay, let me see if I have this information correct? Tuesday evening I drove into the metroplex for the inner city Bible club meeting and had to switch on the A/C because of the uncomfortable warmth and humidity. Yesterday it was wind chills and feel like in the 40’s all day and this morning we are near freezing. I didn’t even mention the two days of rain and pea soup fog but I can tell you that weather in these parts is nothing short of wacky and weird most of the time. This means you think I should cut the local weather prognosticators some slack, don’t you? Don’t even think about it. They are the ones that talk all the time about their gazillion watt mega Doppler radar and how nothing can be out of its reach. I fully expect the lights to dim all over the entire area when they turn that dude on but other than making for some good backgrounds for them to stand in front of, I’m not really impressed with how it helps us to know whether an umbrella or an overcoat will be needed for the day.

As the season progresses I am getting more ‘Santa’ comments from strangers. Their previous looks said I might have just come in from sleeping under a bridge. The clubbers on Tuesday evening had a field day talking about my beard. Many asked if I was the real Santa. I asked them back what they thought. I showed one little fellow my Santa picture business card and he went and told the rest of the gang that I had a Santa driver’s license. It was all in fun and I can assure you our club meeting was mostly about Jesus and His provision for all the little children of the world. My wife thinks I should go next week for the club Christmas party dressed as Santa but I will have to think about that one.

While it may be tis the season to be jolly, we all know each day brings sorrow to someone, somewhere. Crystal, a lady in my Bible Study class passed away Tuesday evening. She suffered some strokes and aneurysms about three weeks ago and had multiple surgeries but never woke up. This series of events and her passing came as a complete surprise to her family. She was 58 and no one in her circle would have imagined that this could be what they would be facing today. She was a one-of-a-kind individual, quirky, and in some ways eccentric but hugely in love with the Lord and His willing servant. She often told me that while she couldn’t be a speaker or a singer she did know how to clean and how to help in other areas. AND what she knew how to do became her ministry, because she sought out and found those opportunities and pursued them weekly. Several months ago my wife and I sang a song that Crystal really liked. The message can be summed up by the chorus: “The longer I serve Him the sweeter He grows; The more that I love Him, more love He bestows; Each day is like heaven, my heart overflows; The longer I serve Him the sweeter He grows.” She will be missed but her testimony will continue as we remember her faithful service to the Lord she so dearly loved. Please say a prayer for her family as they deal with this loss at this time. Amen. …..More later.

No comments: