Thursday, January 31, 2019

Older people didn't know you don't have to rewind DVD's after you watch them.

Good morning and welcome. It's Thursday, the last day of the first month of this brand new year, January 31, 2019. That didn't take long, did it? Scientists are still trying to figure out the mechanisms that cause older people to see time as moving faster than it did when they were younger. They have some good guesses based on observation. Perspective versus prospective. When we are younger things are always being experienced and anticipated. It actually is proven that time does go faster, in the mind, when one is having fun. When we are older our perspective changes and we see things often in retrospect as opposed to anticipation. Oh well, January did seem to have come in for a landing and I looked up and it had taken off again. I will be the first to admit that things do not always register with me like they once did. I heard about the elderly fellow visiting his kids. He asked his son for the WIFI password. His son replied it is taped under the modem. He couldn't get his tablet to work and the son asked what he had done. The father responded, "I think I put in correctly, T-A-P-E-D-U-N-D-E-R-T-H-E-M-O-D-E-M. And, I might add that you could have come up with a shorter password." Some of you will get this right away. Others will live to understand it, better, by and by.

I read a posting from a young man who recounted a particular thing he had done earlier in his life. He said it was one of the few good memories he had. To me, that is sad. He went on to say you should hang on to those that were good because they do not come along very often. I'm not saying that life is one happy moment after another, but, I typically think that most of my life has been filled with good memories. That's not to say I haven't had to deal with tragedies and family crises but all and all I've had a good life and I can't begin to count the really wonderful memories I have. Most of my memories are about being with people who were influential in my life. I thank God for them. Their testimony continues to help me because of their lived out example. Their approach was one that emphasized caught versus taught. These were my folks, my friends, and we went places and did things. Not world travel but maybe just a hunting trip or a fishing expedition. Down to the old creek bank. Out to the deep woods. Camping out. Sleeping in the bed of the old Chevy pickup. Little stuff. Lots of laughing. Kidding. It could have been just sitting by the fireplace and talking forth and back. I don't consider myself to be lucky, I know that I am blessed.

Speaking of the sad times experienced in our family, we could crank up a huge pity party at the drop of a hat. Even those have to be seen in the light of God's provision and grace. We choose to see life through the lens of God's truth. That is not a cop-out. It's not an accent the positive eliminate the negative approach to life. It's accepting the word God has given to us in the Bible. It's a trusting Him proposition. We can never make sense out all that has happened that brought us so many times to the cemetery, but, we can know that we know God knows, cares, and He is still our Father. Does this mean we never shed a tear? Not hardly. I know I've used this song dozens of times over the years in my blogs, however, it is the story handed down to us all from my grandfather, Paw Paw Mac. It was my grandfather's favorite song,  written by Ira Stanphill immediately after he suffered a personal tragic loss.

I Know Who Holds Tomorrow

I don't know about tomorrow
I just live for day to day
I don't borrow from the sunshine
For it's skies may turn to gray

I don't worry o'er the future
For I know what Jesus said
And today I'll walk beside Him
For He knows what lies ahead

Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand

Ev'ry step is getting brighter
As the golden stairs I climb
Ev'ry burden's getting lighter
Ev'ry cloud is silver lined

There the sun is always shining
There no tear will dim the eye
At the ending of the rainbow
Where the mountains touch the sky

Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand

I do hope it will encourage you. I know it encourages me. I can see my Paw Paw singing this one, swaying from side to side, with tears rolling down those old rough cheeks. It's a good memory. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: