Thursday, January 17, 2019

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile." ~ Roger Staubach

Good morning to any and all who chose to join up for today's merry go round ride. This one gets us going on Thursday, January 17, 2019. Our clothes dryer gave up the ghost earlier this week. The wife cleaned up everything, checked all that we knew to check, but, alas, it would no longer do its intended purpose. We've had it for years. It has hung in there sitting next to a newer washer that we finally bought a few years back. Therefore, rather than try to have it fixed, after maybe a 14-year run, we decided to buy a new one. The first store we went to had a problem. Their computer system was down. They couldn't sell one cotton-picking thing. Period. The showroom was filled up with appliances, but, sorry, we will have to wait until it comes back up. Really? The next store we went to could have been in the commercial. We were there. We saw the unit we wanted to buy. Nary a worker who could help us was in sight. There was an older gentleman doing his best to help people find stuff on the computer. That was not a pretty picture. After maybe 45 minutes we got him to check on the unit we wanted. Sorry. Out of stock. None of the other stores in the area have it. The wife gave this proverbial insight, "Maybe it's not meant for us to buy a new one." Do what? The third store, we found the very same unit. (It was on sale at every appliance store we visited.) No one around, however, a fellow spotted us, asked what we needed and he went and fetched someone to help us. Five minutes later we were out the door. They will be delivering and installing it today. Here's my final take: I did my very best to think about all the reasons we experienced what we did. My belief is there is never, ever, any excuse for ignoring and not taking care of a potential customer. I thought I would pass that on.

There's nothing like a coming weather change to get people talking. Supposedly, we have some type of arctic chill that is headed our way this weekend. It will maybe make down into the high 20's. The huge Houston Marathon is Sunday morning and they are predicting a wind chill of 19 degrees for the runners. That doesn't sound great to me, but, who knows if it will be that cold? We've kind of made it a habit to be weather skeptics around these parts. Think about it. When the local forecasters see something with arctic air that appears to be headed our way, they pull out the graphics they rarely use. They really get into it. And, we all know there is no accountability because as soon as something doesn't happen they predicted, they just move on down to the next prediction. That's what you call job security. But, because I am a practical person, sometimes, I will likely make sure our pipes are still protected and check with the lady of the house on her precious plants that currently are enjoying life in her new she-shed. Meanwhile, try not to be too worried when they put that B-RRRRRR! up on the screen in huge letters.

Bentley may be tiny, but, he is earning a new nickname, Trouble!
Okay. I admit it. This puppy dog has gotten my schedule totally messed up. I am not spending as much quality time in the Home Office. Why? I'm outside hanging around a puppy who is into everything. One of the things being neglected is the work I put into my daily blogs. I know. You can't tell the difference. But, believe me, I can. Our friends who have dogs and have had dogs all of their lives tell us that as a puppy he is more like a baby than one might expect. Yay! Tell me something I am not seeing every single day. He and I are the only ones up early. It's not as easy to concentrate on what I'm typing when this little guy is busy doing his best to imitate the shredder we have in our office. (He seems intent on me having a legitimate excuse for the IRS, "Sorry, but my dog ate my paperwork.) And, it's not that easy to do anything with him in my lap. Oh well, as I often tell the wife when she is frustrated with his behavior or lack thereof, it comes with the package. Maybe he will eventually have his own column. That should keep him busy. Just kidding. I mention this only to let you know that I might be a smidgen or two off my game until I get this little dude all lined out. Just so you know, he doesn't mind the dampness outside, but, when it has rained quite a bit, he would just rather not. Period. Have a great rest of the day and may God add His blessings. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: