Tuesday, January 29, 2019

“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and Tequila.” ― Mitch Ratcliffe

Yesterday, I felt so lonely sitting next to a modern-day computer but working on one that reminds me of the Old Man character played by Tim Conway on the Carol Burnett Show. It's Tuesday, January 29, 2019, and I bid you greetings from the Home Office. I did all I knew how to do to try and wake up the failing processor. I've even tried the technique they taught us when preparing us to use mouth to mouth. Shake the person really good to make sure they are really in need of resuscitation. I did that to the sick computer. That may not be on the list of technical fixes but I thought it might be worth a try. The other day the heater on my pick-up began to act up. It would blow hot air at times but at other times nothing but cold air. I'm typically not too bothered by the cold but when we've had a cold snap enough to require the ice to be cleared off the windshield, well, that might be on the borderline of bothering me, just a wee bit. At any rate, I left with a peephole to see out of and made my way to my destination. I hit a bump along the way and the heater started doing its job. Putting out heat. Therefore, I thought maybe giving a bump to the newer computer might work. I didn't want you to think I was just guessing. See? I did have some recent experience that informed my action. At any rate, because of the critical data on the ailing PC, I called a technical service to come and check it out. The fellow called me and worked me through his way of checking the system. He was convinced the brain (motherboard) was fried. The disk files should be recoverable. However, the system, purchased in 2014, has gone the way of the passenger pigeon. That put me in a quandary. I need my computer, so, I went to Best Buy and picked one up. Now we will see about recovering the data on the disk drive. I spent maybe six hours getting the new one all set up. We will see how it goes.

I suppose the most hypocritical of all the stuff flying around our nation's capital today is the disconnect when people who were once for something but are now not only against it but, vehemently so. At one time, even in our nation's convoluted system, talking out of both sides of your mouth would have come at a price. Not any more. The video record is impressive. There is only one difference in their stance today. The person recommending the project. That's it. When the person they deemed worthy recommended the same project they were 100% on board with it. Now the same project is called every name in the book. Folks, I'm not that bright, but, if people fall for these kinds of politically motivated shenanigans, well, maybe they deserve the people talking out of both sides of their mouths. I will tell you this. While the evidence is compelling, the base who support these folks seems not to care. So what? So, they were once for it and they are now against it. We are against it, so, they are doing the right thing. Nothing but politics. Sadly, their games end up hitting us all. We, after all, pay for what they are doing. It's our money funding all of these charades. If that doesn't bother you, then go back to watching Mayberry and have a nice day.

We all know that substance is no longer a part of any equation as it relates to the governance of our country. It is all about winning. The most basic winning is in the public opinion polls. Forget the facts. Forget any and all evidence. It is all about the appearance and flavor of the momentary flash on the cellphone or screen. I'm not negative, just giving you my observation. Why would we expect more than this from many who know not God and do not follow His ways? One of the leaders of the radical left made a comment recently that essentially said her and her liberal colleagues are the ones doing God's work. These are people who support the killing of babies and they embrace any and all deviant behaviors that are clearly spelled out in God's Word as being evil. When this was said I immediately thought of this verse from Isaiah Chapter 5, Verse 20: "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" What can I do about it? Do my best every day to live the way God wants me to live. It's one thing to see the disconnects in others, but, we are called to examine ourselves. That typically is often too close to home for me. Thoughts for us all to consider. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: