Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Ephesians 5:25 ".... even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;...."

Good morning and welcome to another ride along. This one has found us traveling together on Tuesday, January 8, 2019. The local fellowship of believers where we are members changed up the schedule during the Christmas and New Year holidays. We abbreviated our services for a couple of weeks to accommodate families. That seriously changed our routine. This past Sunday we returned to our regular schedule of services. The topic of conversation within our group was mostly about the relief folks were experiencing in returning to our weekly meeting schedule. I know a routine can become a rut. Back in the day when I was in management, they used to warn us about becoming too focused on 'our' routine because it could become detrimental to progress and innovation. As it relates to the local assembly, (Church), where we meet to seek God, learn more about Him, and to minister to each other, I think it is different. I think some routines and habits are very healthy. In the account given to us from the Gospel of Luke regarding our Savior at 12 years of age, we read, "His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast." (Luke 2:41-42) That was their habit. Jesus would later return to the local meeting place where He no doubt faithfully attended growing up, the Synagogue in Nazareth. In Luke Chapter 4, we find this record, "So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read." (Verse 16) As was His custom. When we are told not to neglect the showing up and participating in the local body, it is with good reason. (Hebrews Chapter 10). My point? There are some habitual habits that can be healthy. Actively functioning within the local assembly is one of them!

Yes. I am well aware that attending Church regularly does not make one a true Christian any more than being in a garage makes one a car. And, it is true that some observe the local assembly in name only as a ritual. God has warned us against those superficial motivations. However, I say to any and all that going is better than not going. There is always the opportunity for God to speak when we hear His Word being presented. Some say the Church is filled up with hypocrites and while I would disagree with that assessment, I do know that I would rather the hypocrites be in the services because God can get a hold of any of us at any time. Or, as our Pastor likes to say, "So, you think the Church is made up of mostly hypocrites, well, why don't you come join us, one more couldn't hurt?" Someone recently mentioned how that many folks don't attend any longer because they were hurt by a Church at some time in their past. Since the Church is made up entirely of people, not buildings and grounds, the potential for one being hurt as a result of rubbing elbows with others is quite high. In fact, my thinking says if you stay at it long enough, that potential is likely 100%. People don't always do the right thing even when they are acting as part of a local fellowship. Staying focused on the local body being a God-thing will help us all to deal with and overcome any obstacles to us fulfilling our calling.

I well remember a luncheon when I was at the Big company and was a department head. The folks I was having lunch with represented one of the major telecommunications enterprises. During our time together, the head of the group leaned over to me and said this, "I understand you are one of those Church people who go all the time. Is that mostly to make contacts and network for business reasons?" That came from out of the blue and I thought about it and finally said, "I go because I am a believer and my belief informs my reasons for being a part of the Lord's Church." He seemed a little shocked by that answer. One of his lieutenants offered this jewel, "The wife and I are neutral concerning religion and we have decided to let our children decide for themselves when they get old enough." I couldn't help but tell him, "You may think you are being neutral but there is a high probability your children will end up thinking mostly just like you." All of this dialogue was done in a very positive manner. Sad to say, there have been other times when I could have done a better job giving testimony to why serving God is a reasonable response for what He has done for me. Being one of those 'Church people' is not a bad reputation. Okay. I had no idea I would be serving up a sermonette today, but, I sat down at the keyboard and this is what came forth. Have a great rest of the day and may God add His blessings. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: