Thursday, January 24, 2019

From an editorial about playing Santa Claus at Christmas. "The Santa Attitude: In order to keep your audience from eyeing you in suspicion, it is important to get into the proper character. Instead of feeling irritation at the enormity of the role you're getting ready to play, take a few minutes to capture the Christmas spirit. Think about why you're playing Santa in the first place: the high-octane excitement of the kids you'll be performing for, or the extra money you'll be providing for needy charities. Once you remember the point of your performance, it becomes a lot easier to get into character."

Yep. It's me again. I do bid you greetings from my electronic address floating around out on the world wide web to your mechanism of choice for receiving today's communication. It's Thursday, January 24, 2019, and I'm here at the Home Office clicking and clacking on down the track on my desktop personal computer. I'm pretty sure if the desktop were to go away so would my blogging activity. I can't see myself trying to type out three paragraphs on my smartphone. (I prefer to call mine a semi-intelligent phone, but, that's just me.) There may be a tablet with a large enough keyboard to do touch typing, but, I'm not sure. I've written before about how during the Christmas season almost everyone sees me as Santa even when I am in my civies. After that, it's mostly 'look at that elderly gentleman with the white beard'. There are exceptions. Some of them can be quite amusing. Last Sunday, we were at a new restaurant waiting in line when this little guy, maybe four years old,  approached me and asked, "What's your name?" I reached in my pocket and whipped out one of our Santa and Mrs. Claus souvenir cards. I said, "Maybe this will help." This little guy was dumbfounded. I don't know what he expected but he was stunned. His parents thought it was great. After we finished our lunch we were leaving to go to our car when one of the restaurant doors opened and it was the little guy along with an older brother and sister. Dad hollered out the older brother wanted to at least speak to Santa. I kneeled down and gave both of them one of our cards. Their table inside erupted in applause when they returned. I guess it just goes to show you, it doesn't take much, and if the beard fits, well, wear it!

Photos made at this elementary school raised $2,500 for needed school projects. 
A lady we work with to do a Santa event for her subdivision recently told me about the school where her children attend. She said in the most recent newsletter, the volunteer group who coordinated our visit to their school announced the Santa photos we made raised $2,500 to be used to buy school necessities. This was our second year to volunteer to do these photos. We were exhausted after that melt-down day but we were certainly happy to hear the program had been a success. We were not the only volunteers. Those ladies who organized, went and fetched the kids, and maintained some semblance of order in a long and often chaotic day, well, my thought was how tired we were, but, I think our job was actually easier. I mention this because these volunteers exemplified what down-in-the-trenches effort looks like in order to achieve something good for the students. Sure. No doubt, most of them had children at the school, but, I dare say that without folks willing to do things like that, and the Santa photos was only one event, the school would not be as effective in pursuing its goal of educating kids. I tip my hat to this group of volunteers along with several other similar groups we work with each year. Gratifying stuff. It is. It really is.

What am I doing with myself since I finally pulled the trigger and did the retired-retired scenario? Since I left the workforce at the end of last October, everyone knows that November and December were pretty much consumed with The Santa Enterprise. Therefore, the retirement clock actually started at the first of this month. I continue to walk several days a week. In the big mall. I've done it enough to recognize the folks you are there each day as well as any newcomer that joins up for the exercise routine. (Remember what my previous doctor told me: Some exercise, any at all, is better than nothing.) I still spend time each day on my desktop computer. And, the big retirement change: We now have a puppy and his name is Bentley, a Shih Tzu who is yet to learn that he is a dog. As for as my previous work schedule, I am a realist, therefore, that part of my life is behind me now and I actually don't spend time thinking about it. Of course, I do miss seeing the people I worked with for so many years. I am glad to report that I have been able to be more involved in Church/related activities. I continue to help teach a Bible Study class on Sunday's. And, I am now teaching through the Book of James at the senior apartments we visit each Monday. My wife and I are figuring out adjustments and boundaries as we are together a whole lot more each day than we ever have been. To be honest, that has not been much of a problem. So far. As we know, any and everything is subject to change. Without notice. I'll try to keep myself posted so I will be able to let you know what's going on. Enjoy the rest of your day and always know that God sees, cares, and loves. Us all! Amen. ....More later.

No comments: