Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Does anyone know if it's true that Dracula had a bloodhound as a pet?

The brain merry-go-round stopped here, therefore, this is where we start on this Tuesday, January 15, 2019. Last week I was privileged to attend every session of a Bible conference held at our local fellowship. I must tell you, it was one of the most amazing series of services I've been to. Period. I think we heard 17 sermons and some of the most God-honoring music on the planet. Period. In addition to some of the finest expository preachers from across the United States, we also were privileged to have two professional Southern Gospel Groups, Greater Vision, and the Mark Trammel Quartet. We also had our own choir which is by many people's estimation, one of the finest Church choirs in America. I knew that already, but, when you hear people from all over saying it, you know it is something very special. What a week! God was in the House! At least eight people confessed Christ as their Lord and Savior, the altars were filled up with folks multiple times seeking a closer walk with their Lord. Some came with heartache and burdens hard to bear. Others for rededication. What a week! I told several people my take. The proof will not be in our basking in the wonderful services we were a part of, but, it will be in how the truths God revealed to us changes our lives. That is where the rubber meets the road. We don't get to stay up in the clouds. We operate in the here and now. Pray with me that the fruit from this phenomenal week will continue to blossom in our day by day living. Amen.

Within our local fellowship, we have several folks in their late 80's and early 90's. One of the nonagenarians is a very sweet fellow who loves to shake hands, greet, and make people feel welcome. He sometimes calls me 'Sonny' and that sounds so funny to me. I don't know why, but, at 72 plus, it has been a long time since anyone called me Sonny as in Sonny-boy. I told some people about it the other evening and they said this older gentleman always does his best to make someone smile. They know him much better than I, but, I thought to myself, what a testimony. He always does his best to make someone smile. I know he was able to do that for me. He is visibly somewhat frail, but, he doesn't miss a service. Another fellow, a man of God, 92 years young, pastored for more than 65 years. I have profound respect for this man. He is not in the greatest of health, uses a walker, but, he comes as often as he can. I always try to give him a hug when I see him. Being a pastor is a very difficult responsibility. Being one for over 65 years puts this fellow in what has to be rare company. These and so many other elderly folks within our local assembly tell us that we can serve the Lord by doing what we can, all that we can, to the best of our ability, up to and until He calls us home. That might include calling someone in their 70's, 'Sonny Boy'.

We have a new addition in our home. His name is Bentley. He is 9 weeks old. He is a Shih Tsu. He is a handful. We got him last Saturday. He is a baby and he doesn't mind acting like one. We had been talking about getting one over the last couple of months. Old people. No one can figure us out. At any rate, he is a part of our program now and we will do the best we can to raise and take care of him. He is very active and he likes attention. Lots of attention. When I sent the above photo out to our boys, the eldest replied, "This is a joke. Right?" Based on the dialogue I think they think we have lost it. That might be true, but, the reality is we now have a dog. I'm not so sure he knows that he is a dog. I'll put that on the list of things he needs to learn. Meanwhile, he sleeps in my lap. Old people. No one can figure us out. This was a team decision. After talking forth and back to the groomer lady who had him for sale, I told her I had to consult with my wife before any further discussion. The wife came upstairs, watched the video of Bentley, and by 4:00 p.m. of that same day, he was exploring our house, his new home. Now it begins. Whatever that means. Enjoy the rest of your day and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: