Wednesday, January 16, 2019

“Have you ever noticed how as an adult, all the bright colors go out of your life? Now that I’m not a kid anymore, things always look gray, like a clothesline draped with laundry that’s been washed too many times and left to stand in the wind. I guess that’s what growing up is… it’s a fading photograph.” ― Rebecca McNutt, Author

Good morning and welcome. It is Wednesday, January 16, 2019, and, I am sitting here in the Home Office reminiscing about this subject: Reminiscing. This was brought on by a country music song reverberating and bouncing off the walls of that room where the gray matter, what's left of it, hangs out. The thoughts expressed in the song go like this: ~ Did lovers really fall in love to stay And stand beside each other, come what may? Was a promise really something people kept Not just something they would say and then forget Did families really bow their heads to pray Did daddies really never go away? Oh, Grandpa, tell me 'bout the good old days ~ I have written extensively about my upbringing in a 'Mayberry RFD' type of environment. I've experienced much of what that song talks about. However, I do know that we can idealize our memories, live in the past, and perhaps lose our focus on where we live today, in the here and now. I was born in the 8th month of the first wave of the postwar baby boom and that's what we are called: Baby Boomers. Things were simpler back in the day. However, when I put my mind to it I can also remember that it was not all happy happy and some of the issues could not be solved by Sheriff Andy and Deputy Fife in a 30-minute program. One example: 'Did daddies really never go away?' Mine did. He caught a sudden illness and it became worse. He most likely wouldn't seek medical attention because of his stubbornness and not having enough money to pay for it. On January 2, 1954, they came and fetched him by ambulance. He was in cardiac arrest when they arrived at the hospital and at age 31 he did the ultimate going away. To his heavenly home. Because of the trauma involved, I can only see in my mind's viewing station bits and pieces of how things unfolded, but, I mention it only to say this about that: Life can be tough and no amount of fantasizing 'bout the good old days' will change that. At the same time, I'm still thankful, warts and all, for the environment God allowed me to live in as a child because it helped prepare me for my greatest challenge: Living one day at a time in the here and now.

Our brand new year is off to a bloody start for those who wear the badge and have pledged their lives to serve and protect our communities. In the first 13 days of 2019, a total of seven police officers have died in the line of duty. Sadly, there are still those among us who continue to whip up hatred against those out there every day doing their best to enforce our laws. This hate is wrapped up in racial division, poverty, and other special interest groups who foment their vitriol against our policing agencies. The wife and I are huge fans of the TV series, 'Live PD'. Has this animosity against the police infiltrated the thoughts of those being pulled over? You betcha! Big time! Teenagers claim they are being stopped because of their age or appearance. Others claim racial discrimination. The interaction becomes hostile from the get-go, leaving the officers to simply say, "No, your age or your skin color has nothing to do with it. The plate on your car is not valid. I stopped you because of that." I am going to share my opinion about this: ~There are no doubt bad cops out there just like there are bad people out there. As for as the cops go, that is a very small number. But, this incessant drumbeat of hatred and malice against authority has contributed to the increased dangers associated with our police. ~ To me, this is one of the sad features of our world today. Pray for the families of the fallen and pray for our nation. May God help is my prayer. Amen.

The Colonel as Santa in Japan.
The other day I stopped by a small Cajun restaurant to pick up some seafood gumbo. As I drove into a parking spot in front of the place, a group of about 20 Japanese folks were exiting the restaurant. They saw me in my truck and began pointing. I waved at them and they were excited. They were all laughing and talking when I got out. I spotted what appeared to be their group leader. I walked over to her and handed her one of our Santa cards. She let out a yelp and held it up for all to see. They appeared to be happy. The lady inside at the counter said she guessed they didn't have 'real' Santas over in their country. I told her she would likely be surprised since many American Santas do foreign gigs at malls and specialty appearances. That day I was wearing my red cap and red suspenders, therefore, I can't really blame them for seeing me as a tourist attraction. I have a few anecdotes to share going forward that I plan to call, 'Musings from the Mall'. Since I am now a mostly committed mall walker on most days, I do have some interesting observations from time to time. I was going to start today but I need to spend some time collecting my thoughts. Okay. The ones I had in mind slipped away from me, but, they will come back. Or, I think they will. Just call it a coming attraction. Until next time, may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: