Thursday, January 4, 2018

“The more we let God take us over, the more truly ourselves we become - because He made us. He invented us. He invented all the different people that you and I were intended to be. . .It is when I turn to Christ, when I give up myself to His personality, that I first begin to have a real personality of my own.” ― C.S. Lewis

Well, it's still cold. The thermometer on the wall outside my office reads 24 this morning. It is invigorating, but, I'm pretty sure I feel that way as long as I don't have to be out in it for too long. Looking at a little of our last few weeks in the rearview window, I come away being grateful for the strength to do the things we were able to participate in. That's what I am contemplating on this morning, Thursday, January 4, 2018. I chose these four shots for a reason. That first in the upper left is a set of twins. What are the odds that two infants could be caught smiling at the same time? The second one is a fellow and his family that we've known for many years. He is a law enforcement officer with the Texas Department of Public Safety. We love the fact that we watched him grow up and now get to show love to his wonderful wife and kids. The bottom left was taken at the Montgomery County Sheriff's, Operation Blue Elf, where we helped document with photos the giving of gifts to needy families. Sometimes when you get to see Santa, you just have to give him a hug. The last one is Mrs. Claus and me at Keenan Elementary where we took several hundred photographs to support a fundraiser for needed classroom supplies and support. I went to the seamstress the other day to talk some about some upgrades that need to be made to The Suit. A lady came in while I was demonstrating some of the issues I wanted to be addressed. She looked puzzled. I simply said we all have our problems. She responded by saying that with me it appears to be an occupational hazard. Maybe I should have stayed and made comments on the several dresses she had on her arm. Great season and as always, the children. Thank you, Lord, for giving us a heart for these kids and allowing us to demonstrate it in this way. Amen.

Some time ago, I decided to become more sociable in engaging my fellow wearers of the red as Santa. I've responded to and added as friends maybe 100 professional Santas in the last several weeks. I've learned something about those who portray the jolly old elf at Christmastime. They are pretty much as different in their personal views as they could be. Some are entrenched Trump haters. Others are red meat red necks. Some appear to be deeply religious. Many are very political. Some post things that are surprising in terms of their inappropriateness. Those will most likely be dropped or in the vernacular of Facebook, they will be un-friended. One Santa the other day took on those Santa's posting lewd comments, foul language, or questionable graphic materials. He said he was ashamed of them and that they should immediately disqualify themselves from working with children. I understand where he is coming from. He was concerned that not having a moral compass as demonstrated by their postings would be detrimental to their ability to work with children. The other thing I've noted is that Santas are people too. Some are very ill. Some are dealing with sadness regarding family and financial issues. We are, after all, just like everyone else, in that we put our fur topped boot on one foot at a time, or something like that.

If I'm not mistaken, my backed into blog writing sabbatical during the holiday break was perhaps the longest I've gone without putting electronic words onto the electronic page. We had several of our grandchildren hanging out with us and one of them was camping out on a blow-up mattress in my upstairs office. I could have intruded into his space and cranked out a few blogs, but, I figured he needed his beauty rest and perhaps the break was good for me as well. I suppose writing these have become my habit because I did miss doing them. However, while the break may have been good, it doesn't appear to have impacted the quality of my writing, that is, in seeing any improvement. Sorry. I suppose it really turns out to be like that ditty I heard as a kid. "It used to be wine, women, and song. Now it's Metrecal, same old gal, and Sing Along with Mitch." If you can't figure some of that out, I'm pretty sure Wikipedia can help or even better, look for someone with white or graying hair and ask them to explain it. I wonder if I am entitled to some type of educational credit for sharing these thought-provoking nuggets? Yeah. Me too. They would need to be thought-provoking first. I'll keep working on it. Until next time, do your best to count your blessings as a way of staying focused in this new year. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: