Friday, January 19, 2018

“Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.” — Anthony Brandt

Cleon with the sisters and our dear Bro. Milton who is now in heaven.
It's Friday, January 19, 2017, and I bid one and all a happy day. Some call last Tuesday a snow day since most businesses had to either cancel or open much later. For me, it was more of a freezing day since there was very little snow at our place. The wife had sternly warned me there was going to be mucho trouble if I attempted to drive in. Why is it necessary to threaten me with violence? In the words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?" I did stay home. Around 10 a.m., the wife's brother called. He lives over in Northeast Louisiana. She was out in the garage at the washing machine so I answered her phone. He seemed shocked. He figured no matter what that I would be at work. What's up with that? Does everyone think I lack any common sense at all? Don't answer that. He told me over in his neck of the woods it was 6 degrees and he would need to soon go and check on his cows. He's 81 years young and still taking care of quite a few Black Angus. We visited for a few minutes. He is a remarkable man who has always been loyal to our entire family and to his neighbors. I gave the phone to the wife and they were able to visit for a while. Family Ties. They have stood the test of time and we thank God for them. Amen.

Cleon was one of the witnesses who signed our wedding certificate. Therefore, we've been at this thing called family for a good long run. It has been quite a journey! We've had some sad times and more good times than I could even count. That's the way it works with family. We've said so long to many as they have crossed over to the other side. Thankfully, we could say that instead of goodbye since we know that we know we will see them again. When our crossing day comes. We are also left with such wonderful memories. We were married in 1964. It was Christmastime. After a very brief honeymoon, we made our way down to Cleon's for the family Christmas gathering. They knew me already from our dating days but I was impressed with how they welcomed me into their part of our family clan. Our first child wasn't even being thought of at that time and now he has grandchildren of his own. Like I say, it has been a journey. I remember Cleon's in-laws way back then. They were special people. I remember hunting with Cleon and his in-laws. My recollection is of being out at the camp and enjoying the meals and especially the hearty laughter that was almost always going on. Cleon's family has always looked up to him. I learned to do the same. Family ties. They have stood the test of time and we thank God for them. Amen.

I did get myself rescheduled for my doctor's visit for next Monday morning. Let's hope they don't come up with another excuse to use to cancel it. The day I hear they had to cancel because they found a banana in the refrigerator, well, that will pretty much make it crystal clear exactly what is going on. I guess if they keep this canceling program going, it will soon be time for my annual physical. I'm telling you. It's always something. And, if it's not one thing, it's something else. I'm doing my best not to develop a complex, but, it would be easy for me to start thinking people see me as Charlie Brown, or they just enjoy picking on me. Of course, this could be nothing more than a figment of my imagination. I've heard it called a Fig Newton of my imagination but that just didn't sound right to me. At any rate, let's hope we can get this sad and sordid affair behind us. I hear it all the time. We have to move on. Let's just get this behind us so we can move on. I mostly only want to tell the doctor a dozen or more things currently relevant to my health and well-being. Or, maybe it's relevant to my perception of my health and well-being. They need to realize the longer they postpone the more I have on my list. I would send them a copy of my blog but they do not allow that many characters to be submitted. I'll leave it at that so you can say a little prayer for my doctor. Thanks. I am sure he will appreciate it. Have a great Friday and Lord's Day Sunday, and take care of yourself and remember that God is to be thanked, period. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: