Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Do we really want to live in a world where it's Person Claus and Frosty the Snow Person?

Isn't it interesting how that one can scan literally thousands of headlines on any given day but when one pops up that grabs hold of you it can get you going in a heartbeat? This is the cud I'm chewing on this morning, on this Wednesday, January 10, 2018. There is a historical context for our recognition of the character of Santa Claus. It has its roots back to a real person. Saint Nicholas. There are numerous variations in both style and names but most have a common connection to this individual as the origin. I was looking through some stuff and a headline grabbed me by the throat. It had to do with some people in Europe who are calling for the elimination of the term Father Christmas to be replaced with the name Person Christmas. I read the article. This is for real folks. I kid you not. In that same article, it mentioned concerns being expressed concerning the overuse of the word Snowman or Snowmen and how that this too should be dealt with in order to eliminate discrimination. Okay. I am a person who portrays the character, Santa Claus, and I am greatly offended by these idiotic recommendations. Sorry. That's how I feel about it. One expert said the issues involving changing anything to do with Santa Claus is more difficult because of this tie back to a real person. I give you my word that if I am asked to portray Person Claus, I will follow the statement precisely that was made by President Lyndon Johnson when he announced he would not seek reelection. It was later related in this paraphrase, "If nominated I will not run. If elected I will not serve." His exact quote was this, "I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination of my party for another term as your president." I think you understand my meaning. And, as always, I am unanimous in my opinion!

I know what some of you are thinking. Why don't I really say what's on my mind? Sometimes the insanity of it all nearly takes your breath away. I can't help but wonder if this trend of political correctness continues to run amok, how it will be for our grandchildren when they are our age. I suppose the utopian goal would be for there to be no distinctions regarding identity as it relates to gender, none whatsoever. No he or she. No him or her. I remember when the first so-called gender-neutral Bibles came out. The overall stated objective was to make the language of the Bible more inclusive. I am aware the original languages used as the basis for translators do, in fact, have places where the original is gender-neutral. An example would be the word for humankind that often gets translated mankind. I don't have a problem with mankind but some do. However, the masculine and feminine pronouns found in the original languages are a different matter entirely. If the original language clearly identifies distinctions regarding man, men, and woman, women, then we as believers must embrace those distinctions as coming from God Himself. And, especially, as they refer to references to God Himself. At the same time, if the original language does not invoke these specific distinctions and a translator uses a broader inclusive term, well, we shouldn't reject this treatment out of hand. To be clear, my problem is when the best evidence we have is tampered with in any way whatsoever to fit the current notions or trends. God's Word stands because it is just that, God's Word. Amen.

I do get updates on my Facebook page from the last remaining major newspaper in our area, the Houston Chronicle. Here's how they introduced this feature. "World news photos: Other than this one mention, there is no Trump in this gallery. So enjoy a Trump-free cruise through our unique collection of world news photos from the past week." I used to be a subscriber to this paper. I used to read it pretty much front to back. I gave up my subscription when they re-invented themselves into a New York Times wannabe. When I saw this precipitous left-leaning shift, I did attempt to reason with them through their reader ombudsman representative. However, they didn't respond to my concerns and now they have joined the ranks of the mainstream media that would greatly like to see our nation enjoy a Trump-free existence, regardless of the outcome of an election where the people of the United States chose him to be our President. Sorry. That caption got to me a little. And, I took the ball and ran with it. I suppose it could be that it did not intend any slight or slant whatsoever. Nope. Not buying it. I'm sticking with my reading of it and now allow you to make up your own mind. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: