Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Hebrews 12:28-29 "Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our 'God is a consuming fire.'"

Good morning. It's Tuesday, January 23, 2017. Last Sunday evening in our worship services, I noticed an elderly lady sitting across from me in the next section. She was with some other ladies. The songs were being sung. She wanted to participate. She obviously had a serious eyesight issue. But, she wanted to participate. She produced a small set of binoculars from her purse and focused them on the huge screens that had the lyrics displayed. Once she could see, I saw her body moving ever so slightly side to side and up and down. That is wanting to worship the Lord! My eyes were immediately filled with tears as I remembered my dear mother and how she struggled in her pursuit of reading her Bible, and her Sunday school lesson. She had all kinds of magnifying devices and she spent hours reading a text that may have taken her minutes in the past.The lady using the binoculars and my remembrances of my mom, they made me feel small. How blessed I am to have my faculties still intact enough to participate in those things that matter, for time and eternity, and, how often I take these simple tasks for granted. Some might have thought to see that lady straining to see the words to songs was out of place and odd. To me, she was preaching her own sermon and it impacted me. I thank God for a living testimony that I needed to see. Amen.

Well, a little bit of winter has returned. After enjoying some really moderate weather over the just passed Saturday and Sunday, we have somewhat of a cool down this week. Just outside the office where I'm sitting, the temperature is registering 35 degrees, (one of those old style thermometers on the wall). We will all agree to take this any day like it compared to the iced up conditions from last week. Comparisons. They are how we evaluate things. Yesterday, while waiting for my blood work at the clinic in an almost standing room only group of folks, I was able to observe some heart-wrenching situations. The elderly. There are folks in pitiful condition. Husbands with their pitiful wives. Wives with their pitiful husbands. The children. Little ones waiting to have their time with the needle. Their parents wearing the obvious facial expression of deep worry and concern. We all wait at the same speed. They give you one of those little alert devices that signals when it is your turn. One older man commented when they handed it to him that it was just like being at the restaurant. My heart went out to so many there whose obvious ailments are pronounced and serious. My heart went out to the little one I heard screaming in the background as the technicians did their work in trying to help. Then, my heart overflowed with thanksgiving to God for the fact that I'm still able to get up and go and I'm there for a diabetic check-up. Comparisons. I left with a heart of concern for those I saw and gratitude for God's provisions. Amen.

Back in 2007 when I started doing these daily episodes I quoted one of my favorite philosophers, the late Yogi Berra, hall of fame baseball player and manager. He passed away in 2015 but one of his most quoted quotes helped define my target for my blogging activity: "You can observe a lot by just watching." His homespun way of talking became somewhat famous as they came to be called "yogisms".  At any rate, that's more or less a lot of what you get when you tune into the broadcast that emanates from the ole blogger ranch. There's no telling how many repetitions my readers have had to wade through over the years. I know that because I observe it as a trait in older people. They, I mean, we do tend to tell some of the same stories over and over again. I do hope that if my stuff gets repetitive enough to become tedious and boring, that I will recognize it and pull the plug. Meanwhile, I will continue to share what comes forth from my observations and watching. Like the dialogue I had with my doctor. We had a good visit. I've learned that part of his technique is to let the patient help in coming up with solutions. He's pretty good at it. I noticed that because I was observing. I'll tell you about it one day soon in a blog coming to an electronic access point near you. For today, think about God's provisions. Think about others. Give God the praise for He and He alone is worthy to receive it. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: