Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Proverbs 31: 28-29, "Her children and her husband stand up and bless her. In addition, he sings her praises, by saying, 'Many women have done noble work, but you have surpassed them all!'"

Good morning. It remains cooler than normal around here, but, it is after all is said and done, called winter for a reason. I am happy to report that it is still 25 degrees on the thermometer outside of my office. While that is well below freezing, it is not nearly as cold as some of the models predicted, some in the mid-teens. However, as I sit here at my desk I can testify that it is feet numbing weather. But, the good news is that it's already Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and I am still counting my new year's blessings as we get ourselves up and going. Those who have followed me for any length of time know that a huge part of my life revolves around food. Yep. Maybe it shouldn't, but, I am particularly fond of home-cooked meals. A few weeks ago, the wife and I were on our way home from a local eatery. I made the comment that I had pretty much lost my appreciation for those kinds of meals. I should have stopped there, but, with nothing but a throw down comment intended, I added this thought: "About the only thing I really enjoy anymore is home cooking although I don't get it that often." You would have thought I had said a most hateful thing. She was upset with me. She thought I had directed that comment towards her. That was not my intention. However, I will say this about that. Since then, she has been cooking up a storm. If that was an unintended consequence of my mindless, wayward, off the cuff comment, then, I do have much to be thankful for as we enter this brand new year. I repeat myself. That was not my intention. "Could you be so kind as to pass me another helping of those mustard greens? They are so delicious. Yes, I'll have some of that home canned pepper sauce as well." Yum. Yum.

Leftovers for lunch!
I can't leave without telling the story of New Year's Day. We had a humongous home-cooked breakfast. My favorite beef link sausage, grits, egg and cheese omelet, homemade cat-head biscuits, and home canned plum jelly with orange juice and coffee. Now if that doesn't get the new year off to a great start, I really don't have a better answer. We agreed that we shouldn't need another meal until suppertime. I was working in my office upstairs when these smells began to fill the air. I remember those smells. They are a part of who I am. They were prevalent in my growing up days. They came from Granny Mac's kitchen and from my Mom's as well. She was cooking some New Year's blackeyed peas with our family recipe for tomato gravy, boiled cabbage, rice and brown gravy, fried chicken, and a big pone of homemade cornbread, alongside some of her sister's homegrown peppers she had canned with vinegar. The wife outdid herself. I told her that Granny Mac would be so proud of her. She said there was likely no greater compliment. This is a true account of the activities that took place in our residence on or about January 1, 2018, and I, as your eyewitness reporter, declare it to be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Maybe I should think seriously about coming up with more throwaway comments. What say you?

I know. For a diabetic to be getting all excited about foods like the ones I described may be a reason to be concerned. Yet, I got up Tuesday morning at 3:09 a.m., and stumbled into the bathroom and took out my little kit, aimed that injection needle into my finger, produced a blood droplet, and then took the measurement. No drumroll needed, but, when 95 came up on the meter, I almost thought I heard angels singing, well, at least, maybe, their wings flapping. (That comment might be debatable from a theological point of view, but, I'm telling a story here. Okay?) I don't know how that 95 happened, but to tell the truth, there are times when you just look up and say, "Thank You, Lord." And, I publicly acknowledge the hard work my dear wife put into making those special meals. I threw out a short blurb about the blackeyed peas meal on Facebook and one lady had this comment, "Your wife has ALWAYS been the epitome of a Proverbs 31 Woman. Bring on the fried chicken!" I cannot argue with those thoughts and now you know one of the main reasons I have been on this thankfulness road trip to start off the new year. What's that? Maybe I should eat some TV Dinners for a few days to give her a break? I'm not sure I heard that correctly because the moment I began to perceive what was being said, the static and distortion got so loud. Sorry. Maybe I will catch it next time. Go ahead and smile, you know you want to. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless us all is my continuing prayer, each day. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: