Wednesday, January 24, 2018

“Some people think football [soccer] is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.” ― Bill Shankly

Good to have you on board today for this little ride down the road of life. This one is taking place on Wednesday, January 24, 2018. Yes. I do know who is playing in the Superbowl this year. New England versus Philadelphia. No. I did not watch one second of either of the championship games. But, I did hear about it, and I did read about it. I am still boycotting the NFL and have no intention of watching the Superbowl. That is, unless I change my mind. My personal boycott has lasted for the entire season. I don't think there's a statue of limitations on self-imposed boycotts, however, this is, for the most part, still a free country where one can be against something one day and then find a reason to support it the next. I will admit the historical context for Brady and Belichick is very enticing. Nearly everyone wants to be an eyewitness to history being made. However, where one's principles are involved, I think conscience and commitment also have to be respected. I talk every day with fellows who think my boycott is meaningless as they see it. They understand why I have quit watching, but, to them, it really doesn't make enough of an impact to facilitate change. Meanwhile, they come to work and I get to hear them talk about watching the game I didn't watch. I often put in my earbuds and listen to some accordion music. Sorry. I happen to like accordion music. (Cajun button box is great!) And, you can feel free to boycott the hearing of it if that's your conviction. Go for it!

I also enjoy three-part harmony yodeling. And, two-part. And, even, one part. So? Sue me. See? We all have different convictions and preferences. I recently heard a preacher talking about the Word of God, the Bible, and why it is always out of touch with the personal persuasions of a fallen world. He said the Bible is considered to be politically incorrect, but, it isn't. It is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, therefore, God doesn't have to adjust His Word at any time for any reason. If this is true then why are there so many ideas about what God really meant when He spoke through His Word? That's certainly not a new thing. It started at the time of the fall as recorded in Genesis where Satan in speaking to Eve uses some of God's words but turns them around to cast doubt upon them. (Genesis Chapter 3) Like I say, coming up with novel interpretations of God's written word is not new. We see the Bible being used today to justify whatever it is the current generation wants to embrace. Some who claim to be teachers often are the purveyors of these unbiblical views. That is not new. Here's what was going on during the time of Jeremiah, God's called prophet, "Then the LORD said to me, 'The prophets are prophesying falsehood in My name. I have neither sent them nor commanded them nor spoken to them; they are prophesying to you a false vision, divination, futility and the deception of their own minds.'" (Jeremiah 14:14) I have no idea what made me think of this, but, some days are like that. Maybe it will remind us all to pay attention to the Rightly Divided Word of Truth! Amen.

I could go on and on about that particular subject, but, if I tarry too long you might think I will be asking for an offering to be received. I know they almost always say taking. They are taking the offering. It's a common way to express it. And, it might be reflective of how some folks see it. If you get it from me you will have to take it. Most of us know that giving is to God and those who come around with a box or plate are there to receive what is being given to God. Okay. Stuff keeps popping up as I sit here writing. Perhaps I need to reset my radar screen because it seems to be operating on autopilot at the present time. Not to fear, I just remembered the source for some anecdotes that might be useful to us today, ~ "Nothing will work unless you do." legendary coach, John Wooden ~ "Our aspirations are our possibilities." Poet, Robert Browning ~ "Wherever you go, go with all your heart." Confucius ~ "Life is unsure. Always eat your dessert first." Anonymous ~ And, finally, here's one from God through His servant Solomon, "The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person." (Ecclesiastes 12:13 as rendered in the New American Standard Bible, NASB) Okay. That should be more than enough for us to take in for one day. See you next time and don't forget to acknowledge God and His provision in your life. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: