Wednesday, March 2, 2016

“One of the great disadvantages of hurry is that it takes such a long time.” ― G.K. Chesterton, (1874-1936), English writer, lay theologian, poet, philosopher, dramatist, journalist, orator, literary and art critic, biographer, and Christian apologist.


Okay. It's Wednesday, March 2, 2016 and we are off and running. Off. Check. Running. Not so much. I can remember a long period in my life where hurrying was a first priority in just about all I did. I would be the guy running to the elevator and then I would keep hitting the button as if I could coax it into hurry mode. While leaving that environment after over a twenty year run required a mega shift in our lifestyle and in our view of the world, it may well be the reason I'm still here and able to visit with you each day. The good news is how that God has provided for us along the way. I know now that much of the hurried pressure was self inflicted but nonetheless it easily became a feature of my identity. The corporate world often operates that way. I know, many say you have to not allow that to happen. Good luck with that one. We are a hurrying people. My grandfather's favorite little story was about a fellow who was walking down the road. Someone drove up beside him and hollered out to him, "Boudreaux your house is on fire!" This got the fellow to running. As hard as he could. As he was near collapse he began to think. "Wait a minute. My name is not Boudreaux and I don't even own a house!" I think that running without an actual reason is how I interpret a lot of my time at the Big Company. I can still find myself leaning in that direction today because we all have our own inherent proclivities but when I see that happen I try to sit myself down and do what we all need to do at times, "Get a grip." And, seek God's help. Always. Amen


Our souvenir card.
After our services on Sunday evening I went by the grocery store to pick some items that I keep on hand here at my office. I typically do my snacking and lunch using these items. (And, yes I try to keep as much diabetic friendly stuff on hand as I can.) As I was checking out, this little girl down the way, maybe three or four, sitting in a shopping cart, kept hollering at me. I waved but she kept calling out. Loudly. Her mom was laughing. As I was passing by I stopped and gave them one of our Santa and Mrs. Claus souvenir cards. She was ever so happy. I, of course, got permission from her mom first. Her mom was delighted. I didn't even have any of my red on, but some kids, well, they just connect. Here's how I feel about it. It was an unprovoked and spontaneous situation and when something like that happens, well, it may reflect my onset senile ways but it really does make it very special. It's good medicine. It does my heart good. She was intent on getting my attention and in the process of doing so she attracted many others who smiled as well. I don't think some unexpected smiling is going to hurt anyone. Or, that's how I see it.

I know people are not intending to be rude but one fellow told me the other day that he doesn't plan on ending up like me, still working when he is 70 years old. He said his wife actually went back to work so that he could leave the workforce at age 62. He added that she would need to work for an additional nine years for them to handle their financial needs. She is younger than him. End up like me? I work each day because I want to. I enjoy doing what I do. I do not want my wife to work to support me in retirement. While that may be a necessity in some cases it is not even on my radar screen as something I would like to see happen. End up like me? When and where I end my time here in this life is in God's hands but I get up everyday thankful to still be able to pursue the schedule I have committed myself to. End up like me? Maybe he should try to keep up with me sometime and then his comparison might change a little. But, just so you know, what he said hardly bothered me at all. End up like me? Hardly at all. Some people. The nerve. End up like me? See how well I handled that. I almost forgot. He also shared some pretty morbid tales of people who worked later in life and within a few months or years after full retirement they up and died. I suppose that was a veiled warning of some type. Not very veiled if you ask me. But you didn't. I suppose I'll end on that note. End my blog. For today. Not my working each day. Not yet. Until next time may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: