Wednesday, March 23, 2016

"It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade." ~ Charles Dickens

Just as I was getting ready to announce a final internet reading of 34 degrees for our location this past Monday, the fellow who takes care of our tool and supply room spoke up and made it clear that at some point it had been much colder. He said before daylight when he opened the outside metal door it had real ice on it. He reasoned that it would have had to have been freezing or below for some period of time for that ice to form. How can I argue with an eyewitness account? At any rate, it's not that cold this morning and I do send out a greeting to one and all on this Wednesday, March 23, 2016. To honor my shivering eyewitness weather observer I think I will enjoy another cup of Community while I bang out today's edition on my keyboard. I will admit that at times I do say the wrong thing. Not always intentionally. When the eyewitness weather guy came into the office explaining his cold weather observation I noticed that he was dressed in camo attire. Insulated hunting gear. Jokingly, I asked if he was attempting to be invisible. He didn't seem to take so kindly to that remark. Very sarcastically he said, "How about I'm just trying to stay warm?" Some people. The joke just kind of zings by their noggin or something. Maybe he enjoys the warmer temps. I didn't know. I really didn't. He should be glad it was me talking to him and not Paw Paw Mac. "Hey, I'll give you something to think about, what are you going to do when it really turns cold.?"

Just so you know, that even though we do have heat in the shop office where I work, I have not turned it on this week. Not even once. I know our guys that work out in the operations area like to come into the office and smirkily talk about how warm it is but it's not because I have had a heater on. Of course out in their area the big bay doors are open and I know the breeze out there can be very cool indeed. See how much we enjoy dealing with the weather conditions here. The give and take is always part of what makes the job environment rewarding. Within reason, of course. In fact, the work place has its own subject area for funny stories. Here's one that brought a smile to me. ~ Sam walks into his boss’s office and says “Sir, I’ll be straight with you, I know the economy isn’t great but I have over three companies after me and I would like to respectfully ask for a raise.” After a few minutes of haggling the boss finally agrees to a 5% raise and Sam happily gets up to leave. “By the way,” asks the boss, “Which three companies are after you?” “The electric company, water company, and the phone company!” ~ One more. ~ A young executive is leaving the office late one evening when he finds the CEO standing in front of a shredder with a piece of paper in his hand. “Listen,” said the CEO, “this is a very sensitive and important document here and my secretary has gone for the night. Can you make this thing work for me?” “Certainly,” the young executive says. He turns the machine on, inserts the paper, and presses the start button. “Excellent, excellent!” says the CEO as his paper disappears inside the machine. I just need one copy.” ~

Identical twins turn 100 years young!
I read where an Easter Bunny at a New Jersey mall got into a brawl with some customers after their little girl fell out of his lap while having her photo made. Yikes! To be honest that's always been a fear I've had when I'm doing my Santa appearances. Boston reports they have found Waldo. Finally, the 'Where's Waldo?' question has been answered. It turns out this Waldo was behaving very disorderly when arrested wearing the famous Waldo striped hat and shirt. Over in the United Kingdom, the demand for adult coloring books has precipitated a worldwide shortage of coloring pencils. The books contain intricate patterns and designs that help grownups to relax and get away from the social media frenzy that accompanies most people's lives these days. They have become a huge hit. Not only was Lafayette, Louisiana recently named the happiest city in America based on a Harvard study, this past Saturday they also helped celebrate the 100th birthday of an identical set of twins, Albert, and Elmer. Now that is something. That's my slice of life for today. Always remember that reality produces more oddities and interesting stories than fiction ever could. You just have to be paying attention. Got it? Good. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen. .....More later..

No comments: