Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Dating Advice: "Never get serious about a woman who was captain of the debate team." ~ adapted from an anonymous posting

This is Spring Break week for our area. I asked my wife if you still have to slow down to 20 MPH when the school light is flashing even though you know the school is not in session. She said she was certain it would be okay to maintain the regular speed even when the light is flashing. I told her that's what I think also but it sure makes it difficult to not slow down with that light flashing in your eyes. It's the middle of the week and it's Wednesday, March 16, 2016. I need to mention again something I hate but it's the truth so I need to deal with it. For the forty folks who receive my blog each day in a personalized email, I am aware that I do allow a wrong word to escape my fingers from time to time. Many times I catch it after the fact. Sometimes I get the news from my faithful proof reader and companion for these 51 plus years. I do typically correct it on the blog of record but that doesn't mean it is something I feel good about. I don't. I know sometimes the content may be lacking but I always try to do my best in having as few obvious mistakes as possible. That's not a new situation with me. Even back in the day when I wrote a lot of memos, reports, and other documents I typically was very sensitive to making sure they went out as correct and clear as possible. I even hired a retired English teacher once as my secretary to try to enhance our written communications. She did her best. Unfortunately, she attempted to mess with the content. You know. The story. The information. Sorry. That part belongs to me. Correct the grammar and the spelling but don't ever think about thinking about messing with the message. I thought I needed to make that clear. Thanks.
I want to pause and give a shout out to our granddaughter Kyleigh as she celebrates her 21st birthday today. Kyleigh is the eldest of our Rodney and his wife Mitzi and she is sister of Lexie and Brady. She is continuing her education at Sam Houston State University. She is a remarkable young woman and we thank God for her and the potential He has placed in her. Have a great birthday and know that you are always in our hearts and in our prayers. Amen. Love, mimi and poppy

Okay. Daylight Savings Time. I've heard a whole lot of folks really complaining about the lost hour of sleep. Last Sunday morning the wife and I were up early watching the local news and they had a panel talking about the pros and cons of making these clock changes. Some experts say it contributes to sleep deprivation which is quickly becoming a major health risk in our nation. Others talk up the monetary benefits of increased daylight for leisure and other outdoor activities. One panel member thought it should be observed year round. Another thought it should be eliminated. The third one didn't care one way or the other but felt like if it was a help to the economy we could use all the help we can get. I made the comment to the wife that I didn't lose an hour of sleep because I went to bed based on the old time at my regular bedtime. She observed that not everyone was me and I am not completely sure but I think I detected a little bit of a smirk in her voice. You know what I am talking about. That, implied tone: 'Do you want us to build you a statue or something?' I wasn't saying I was better than others, just stating the way I dealt with it. And, it worked. For me. Shouldn't we always try to help others by telling them how to do the way we say? Just joking. Really. I am. I'm not sure she was. I'm sure we will look back on it and smile. Someday. Maybe. Enjoy the rest of your day including the proverbial lost hour and may God add His blessings. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: