Thursday, March 3, 2016

"Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows." ~ Unknown Author

Mom and I at her laptop.
Welcome one and all. It's Thursday, March 3, 2016. Any of you running Microsoft have likely seen the incessant pop ups about the need for upgrading to Windows 10. My mom has asked me about it many times but I told her it would be best to wait until I can be there in Louisiana to do the upgrade for her. She informed me that it was free now but if we wait too long we will have to buy the upgrade. I told her not to worry about that. Well, she must have gotten tired of seeing those pop ups and being the depression era frugal person she is, well, she clicked on the upgrade. I noticed one day when I attempted to log into her system that it was a blank screen. I called and asked what had happened. She told me that she guessed she had triggered the upgrade. I rebooted the system remotely and finally got everything back in somewhat of a similar format she had used before. Who would have ever thought that my nearly 92 year old mom would upgrade her laptop to Windows 10? Well, she did. It shows the power of those warning pop ups especially those that talk about it being free now but not later. Due to her failing eyesight she has to use a lighted magnifying viewer to read the words on her screen but she is still pretty much able to keep up with those of our huge blended family who post on Facebook. She even tells me stuff sometimes that I missed. Not bad for her age if you ask me. And, I think I am unanimous in my own opinion on that one.

Speaking of my dear mom, I read some Twitter postings of people sharing things My Mother Always Said. ~ After you finish scraping the bottom of the barrel .....what you have left is a politician. ~  There's a lot to be angry about in the world. Some idiot you don't care about calling you a name isn't one of them. ~ The most important thing in listening is hearing what isn't being said. ~ Why are you so long in the bathroom? What not give someone else a chance? ~ Just wait a minute, you and your sister can lick the mixer beaters. ~ Never be the one who starts the fight but always finish it. ~ You must never forget to pray. ~ Donate money to Acoustic children. I'm pretty sure she meant Autistic. ~ If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all. ~ There, there, you'll feel better when you eat something. ~ Don't leave anything you can do today until tomorrow. We never know about tomorrow. ~ If you don't eat your greens you will never grow up to be big and strong! ~ If you can't figure out what you want to eat, you are not hungry. ~ Never run after a man or a bus because there's always another one coming. ~ Remember who you are and who's you are. ~ There were plenty of others but one thing most of us will agree on is how that moms do have a continuing influence in our lives. They should. God made it that way. Amen

Well, Super Tuesday has come and gone and the primary results have left some happy and others not so much. Yet, even those who lost are spinning the results into as positive a result as they can. The most attention was focused on the presidential candidates but our ballot was filled up with many other primary races for local, county, and other congressional seats. In terms of the presidential candidates, the wife and I voted our conscience in marking our ballot for the person we thought closest in representing God and country. We didn't use pragmatic reasoning. We were again advised that our vote was wasted. I've never seen it that way. Believe me, I know how the rationale works. If you vote for someone who has no chance of winning then you are in essence voting for the other side. Sorry. That may be the end result but it certainly is not how I think people should decide upon a candidate. And, may I quickly add that folks have the freedom to come at it any way they choose. I continue to be surprised by the number of pastors who are openly endorsing particular candidates. I realize they too have the right to take a stand for a moral governing principle in our nation, but doing battle down in the trenches for particular candidates seems to be somewhat out of bounds within the context of their calling. I saw one older pastor make a comment on Facebook to a younger pastor advising him to put as much time in soul winning as he has in the campaign and he can be certain that God will bless his efforts. Subtle hint and good advice. At least that's the way I see it and while it's not my party, it is my blog, therefore I do share what I think about things. I do. You knew that already? Good. Notice I didn't say anyone had to agree with me. And, yes, I have been known to be wrong. It's true. I really have been wrong before. Here's a closing thought: You will never go wrong by putting God first. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: