Monday, March 21, 2016

"HE DIED, but he vanquished death; in himself, he put an end to what we feared; he took it upon himself, and he vanquished it; as a mighty hunter, he captured and slew the lion." ~ Saint Augustine

I just want to let you know that it's 36 degrees here as I get ready to publish my daily visit. That does make the Community taste even better! Good morning and welcome to Passion Week where we start out with this first work day, for me, on this Monday, March 21, 2016. I started to say Resurrection Week but since our Savior came forth from the grave on the First Day of the week, well, that will not be until next Sunday and that will start a brand new week, and, the fact that He resurrected on that particular day is why we gather on Sunday to commemorate His finished saving work on behalf of us all. But you probably knew that already. We typically have Good Friday off. I haven't heard anything to contradict that schedule, so, that will mean a short week for me. I am trying to think up a word to express my thoughts about that. How about YIPPEE? You do know I'm just messing around because at this stage in my life the days all pretty much run together. My soon to be 92-year-old mom often asks me what day of the week it is when we talk on the phone. (Just so you know, my grammar program suggested I put the dashes in my mom's 92-year-old designation.) I mention her asking because knowing the exact day of the week is only important if they have a doctor's appointment, a Church event, or perhaps someone is coming to visit. That attitude is not all bad especially when I think about how focused I am on dissecting each day into a minute by minute breakdown. You know the old adage, "Don't sweat the small stuff because most of the stuff ends up being mostly small." Okay. That's my rendition of that old adage. You may remember it differently. I think you get my drift. Confused yet? I'm just getting started.

The other day I told the wife about how I could have easily fallen out of my chair again here at work. It was lunch time and I had found an audio of a train ride in a pouring rain. Now that's what I call a combination! I had my ear plugs in and if that won't put you to sleep I don't know what will. She said, "What in the world is up with you and trains lately?" Good question. I suppose I am in one of those times where I am thinking about my dad and how I barely knew him. I did order up a coffee mug I found on EBAY from a collector of railroad memorabilia. Here's what the seller said about it: "I have collected railroad memorabilia of all kinds for over 30 years. It's time to start thinning out and downsizing. This auction is for a nice coffee mug in white ceramic with gold upper trim with the Kansas City Southern name and logo. I have had it for years but it has never been used....just displayed in a bookcase so its condition is excellent." I do not intend to put it on display. I will use it. When I do I will think about my dad and his work for the KCS Railroad. I will also be reminded of all those train rides I took where conductors and other train workers told me how they believed my dad to have been one of the smartest fellows they had ever known. They said he was not only super intelligent but he was also able to keep it all upstairs which they would illustrate by pointing to their head. Grasping at straws? Perhaps. Living in the past? I hope not, but, admittedly, it is one of those nagging mysteries that has become a continuing feature of my life's sojourn.

I at times wonder about the subjects I talk about in my daily visits. Is it too much of this, too little of that, or worse yet, has it become boring? Then I am reminded that it's what I have on my mind at the particular time that I write, therefore, and I hate to say it, but it really is what it is. A personal blog. A journal of sorts. From my point of view. Sure. I worry about overstaying my welcome. I used to tell people I had folks reporting to me that retired a long time before they actually left the Company. I don't want to be that fellow. Meanwhile, I do continue to get positive feedback from time to time and I appreciate those who take the time to share a comment. The other thing that helps me to not be as concerned about these things is the ability we all have, you, I, everyone, to skip or delete anyting we either don't have time for or it is of little interest to us. That means that for now I will likely continue to intrude into your space with 'who knows what' each day. As always, the great thing is how we all can be encouraged by the mentioning of God and His provision for us all. Take care and have a blessed rest of the day. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: