Friday, March 4, 2016

Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr in 1839 coined this phrase: "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" — "the more it changes, the more it's the same thing".

Good to visit with you today and it's good to know that it is Friday, and this one happens to fall on March 4, 2016. I had some really good ideas for today but they do not always stay with me. By the time I sit down at the blank page I find that the page is not the only thing that is blank. The other morning I allowed my PC to undergo a major upgrade that I had put off for a good long while. It predicted that it might take as long as 20 minutes to complete the process. How about one hour? When it finally finished it put a large message up on my screen: All Your Files Are Exactly Where You Had Them Before. I would hope so. Maybe that was just to reassure me. While I was waiting I pulled out and perused a replica newspaper, the Chicago Herald Examiner dated Tuesday, July 24, 1934. This edition was largely devoted to the killing of John Dillinger, who was at that time noted as Public Enemy Number 1. The front page has a photo that must be at least 11"x14". It was taken in the county morgue. Mr. Dillinger is tilted up with his face showing and a sheet over the rest of his body. There's a larger number of people who have been allowed to come by and view this notorious outlaw. Here's what one of the main descriptions said: "It took fifteen federal agents, all expert gunmen, to 'get' Dillinger. And they got him by surprise, thanks to a woman's 'tip' that he was to be in a certain theater, a tip supposed to have been well paid for. It was no 'detective work'. Dillinger was killed as he killed others, without a chance of escape, like a trapped coyote, and he knows, if he knows anything, that as a profession 'crime does not pay'."

I actually enjoy reading the back of the papers where want ads and other miscellaneous items are printed. This edition included a program review for the variety of radio shows coming on that day. You know. Mostly like a TV-Guide approach to what would be on that day. I noticed that many of the programs were musical. Orchestra, dance tunes, and a number of ethnic music programs were listed. If you had been tuned in to WBBM at 5:45 P.M. you could have listened to a drama, called the "Lucky Star Ranch." I also noticed you could fly from Chicago to New York City on United Air Lines for $47.95 and it was estimated to take 4 5/8ths hours. There was a blurb about a lady named Margaret West getting married in Delaware at age 104. This was followed by a joke about Mae West that said Mae would probably be able to do the same thing if she keeps on the way she's going. I also saw a sad notice about a man thought to be in his mid forties who was struck and killed by a South Shore train as he was walking the tracks near 124th Street. That paper back then sold for 2 cents. I think I bought some ten different dated replicas for about $8 each. It did make for some interesting reading while I was waiting for over an hour for my ultra modern super speed computer to get himself all caught up with the latest greatest fixes.

Seeing all those stories, advertisements, and the editorial writings reminded me of what the wisest man ever to live on earth, outside of our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ, Solomon when he said, "That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun." (Ecclesiastes 1:9) Another week has come and gone and I do hope you and yours have had a good week. God has been good to allow us the privileges we enjoy in living out the life He has given to us. We do know there are many who deal everyday with a variety of challenges. The official report from our government says everything is doing great in the economy. We know of many who cannot agree because they continue to struggle financially. Others are dealing with health related complications, family issues, and a myriad of personal difficulties. That too comes with the fabric of life. The old hymn echoes biblical truth in describing the heart of our Lord and Savior in His feelings towards us: "O yes, He cares, I know He cares, His heart is touched with my grief; When the days are weary, The long night dreary, I know my Savior cares." That is a great thought to end on this week. May God help us all to have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. I will do my best to catch back up with you come next Monday. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: