Monday, November 16, 2015

”When you go after honey with a balloon, the great thing is not to let the bees know you’re coming.” ― Winnie the Pooh

I sure hope everyone made it past that dreaded Friday the 13th. I didn't mention it on Friday because I didn't want to jinx anyone. You know that is a complete falsehood. The way we approach days like that goes like this: It's Friday. It's the 13th. Yesterday was Thursday the 12th. Tomorrow, Lord willing, will be Saturday the 14th. And, we might even say, "This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24) Now that I've cleared that up let's see what we can find to discuss on this brand new Monday, November 16, 2015. I don't usually jump back when I find a water hose laying in the weeds. But, I did a little the other day. Why? Subliminal suggestion I suppose. One of the fellows here killed a 2 foot Copperhead on our property last week. He went around showing everyone the photo on his cell phone. He showed it to me. In the early misty morning that water hose looked slightly like it might be a first cousin. Isn't it interesting how that you don't think about something like that until you do think about it? I knew a fellow once that had been bitten on the hand by a Copperhead. He was in the hospital for a week. He ended up losing the use of one of his fingers. That's why I don't mind jumping back a little when the water hose is on the prowl.

I know. The title doesn't really match up very well with the lead paragraph. I noticed that but I actually got a little tired of looking so I latched onto the sage advice offered up by that bastion of wisdom, Winnie-the-Pooh. Some days go like that. I did find one or two that made more sense but I typically don't quote folks that I don't care to publish. Typically. Not always. Mostly always. Mark Twain once said this, "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug." Writing is a challenging endeavor. The famous author, W. Somerset Maugham, observed this about the process of putting words to the page, "There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are." I get that. I really do. Sometimes I go back in time and randomly read one of my blogs. It might be one of those where I conclude I was having a bad hair day or it just might be a little surprising since it actually communicated something that still resonates with me. You just never know what you will get. You know. Like that box of chocolates from that movie I have never watched.

This week we are prepping for the Santa and Mrs. Claus event scheduled for this upcoming weekend. The other day I was at the big box store and a lady hollered at me from across the way. She said, "Hey, you almost look like Santa Claus!" I couldn't resist. My reply, "That's it? That's the best you can do? Almost? She laughed and I went on my way. On the way out of the store I met a middle aged lady who had brought her aging dad to the store. He was walking a couple of steps behind her. As I met him he muttered in almost a whisper, "Hello Santa." I don't know when the page turns but I do know it does. I go from being under the radar to having someone mention Santa to me nearly everywhere I go. Weekend before last I handed out all of the souvenir cards I had on me. One little Hispanic mom and her three little ones stand out. The two year old sitting in the cart was literally calling out to me and I bumped into them more than once and he did the same thing. I passed by, thought about it, turned around and handed the little fellow one of my cards. The mom looked at it and put her hand on her mouth. The other two kids looked surprised with big eyes. What can I say? I'm a joy toting smile mongering happy happy fellow wherever I go. Not really. But something like that. Those accidental contacts, well, they do brighten up my day. Yep. I do believe they do. Find something that will brighten up your day. Today. May God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: