Thursday, November 12, 2015

“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ― Robert Wilensky, (1951-2013), Professor, Computer Scientist

How dependent upon the internet are we? Yesterday here at my little old workstation the internet was like ..... unavailable. You know. It was as if it had made a trip to a galaxy, far, far away. That meant my ability to connect to the world was a big fat zero. I'm not sure we are allowed to say big fat zero but it does aptly fit my situation. I talked to the nicest lady at the AT&T network help desk. She was very pleasant. She told me up front that her goal was to make this a very satisfactory experience. She went on to say that us being a business means that without the internet we are very hampered in accomplishing our work. You don't say? Hello? We did get it up and running and she was a big help. I think it had been down since overnight, therefore, we were down for hours. But, it's up and going today and that's why I'm able to bring you greetings here on this Thursday, November 12, 2015. My inclination was to interrupt the lady and tell her she could cease and desist on the happy talk but she had this melodious voice and unlike most of her contemporaries, she sounded as if she was really sincere. (Must be new.) And, after less than 10 minutes she had us up and running, therefore, she accomplished her goal because I have to confess that she was able to make our work together a very satisfactory experience. This time. Hey, this is not my first service call or my first rodeo. We'll see what happens going forward.

I saw one fellow talking about how things get posted today on Facebook. He put it like this: "Just think, in the old days you would have needed to make 100 personal phone calls to let your friends know that you were having a donut for breakfast." That struck me as being funny because it is so true. Some folks want everyone to know every little detail of their existence. And, that little automatic utility program that tells everyone were a person is at all times, I don't like that at all. Especially for ladies. Why would anyone want to broadcast their precise goings and comings because at any given time who knows who might be looking at the postings? There are some really great things about Facebook and I saw a lot of wonderful postings recognizing Veterans Day. Many shared family photos of their loved ones wearing the uniform of our military. Others shared tributes and other great quotes about the sacrifice of our military men and women on behalf of the cause of liberty. That's an outpouring of honor and respect that would have been hard to do back when we lacked the technology that permits this type of sharing. It was refreshing to see these tributes instead of all the political hate mongering that usually dominates the landscape. But, that's just me. And, I suppose when it is all said and done those men and women served so that people can speak their minds. Even on Facebook. Even while having their breakfast donut.

A lot of things have to do with how you say them. This morning I am sitting here with the door open, (again), enjoying the cool and the Community, and oh yeah, my wife left me again. See what I mean? That last part should have been put into a new sentence because enjoying the cool and the coffee are wonderful but the wife being out of town isn't so great. She is over in Louisiana to check on her sister. That leads to what we all know can be problematic: I am home alone. Over the years I have made a big deal about how things go when I am home alone. And, while much of what I have shared has been done for comedic purposes, I must tell you that I really do have some insight into how Kevin in the movie felt when he was left home alone. As you recall he enjoyed his freedom for a while but that soon gave way to him becoming homesick for his family. In my case I just know that things go better when the wife is here. Period. Me doing both parts of the conversation gets old in a hurry. What? Do I really talk to myself like that when she is away? On the other hand, some things remain the same. I sit myself down in my recliner to enjoy a TV program and when I wake up I discover it's time for me to go to bed. Don't worry. I had seen that program before anyway. See what fun it is around my place? Enjoy your day and may God add His blessings to it. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: