Friday, November 6, 2015

"I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again." ~ William Penn, (1644-1718), Religious Leader and founder of the Province of Pennsylvania

Good morning and welcome. It's Friday, November 6, 2015. I have to remind myself often that I am here to serve. It's real easy for me and likely for everyone else to see the world we live in as being here to serve our needs, our wants, and our priorities. That me first attitude gives many the fuel they need to succeed, however, it doesn't fulfill the calling that believers in Jesus Christ have on their lives. Our nature rebels against the image of us being a lowly servant. Yet, the King of glory came into our world and did so to serve, not to be served. (Matthew 20:28) I remember reading a book on management many years ago where the author emphasized the concept of servant-hood within a business enterprise. He used The Scriptures as a way of reminding people of what it means to be the kind of employee that God would have one to be. He also stressed how that business owners, managers, and other leaders were also servants. Needless to say that concept is not one that is widely promoted, embraced, or practiced today. There are exceptions. You can be one. I can be one. I suppose I thought about this as I am getting ready to teach a short series on the power of a thankful heart. A truly thankful heart is a responsive heart that shows appreciation through actions and deeds. That's what being a true servant is all about. Easy? Not for me. Worth it? First and foremost, God commands us to be servants and when we are it pleases Him and He uses our serving to accomplish His will and purpose wherever we happen to serve. Amen.

Today marks my 8th year here at this company. I am thankful for the opportunity to show up each day and throw my little bit into the mix. God has been good to allow me to participate here in these final laps of my public working marathon. I suppose the thing I appreciate is how that I still feel motivated to get up and go each day. To show up. To do what I can to advance the business. I enjoy many of the relationships built throughout these years. We do have our moments of tension and challenge along with some drama now and then but I would suspect you'll not find any place where these things don't show up. I am often asked when will I hang it up and retire-retire. I tell people all the time that I and the wife are already drawing retirement pay but I do know what they mean. I tried to discover the origin of the 'hang it up' metaphor but didn't have time to really locate the source. It does have the meaning of one hanging up their hat, hanging up their boots, hanging up their spurs along with many others. Oh yeah. Back to the question. When will I? I still feel able. I still feel motivated. I still can contribute some. And, I'm not even 70 yet, but, I do know it's more than just the wording on a 'coming attraction' sign. Until that time I will do my best to serve and to be thankful for the day job that God has blessed me with. Amen.

A worker here at our company hit a deer this week on his way to work. Or, like happened to me one time, the deer may have hit his vehicle. He drives one of those big pickups but it was no match for the deer. In my incident I insisted the insurance agent right it up that way. She hit me. I did not hit her. There are an estimated 4 million white tail deer in Texas. Nearly every driver has had a close encounter at one time or another and with that many deer there's always the potential for an issue. When I was growing up my granddad gave me hunting advice and he told me to always watch for the buck because he will typically send out the does ahead of him to make sure it's okay for him to come out on the right of way. I notice even as I drive down the country road I travel each day how the bucks walk around like they own the place. The does and the fawns tend to be real skittish. They will dart away when approached. I've seen more than one buck more or less take his own good time crossing in front of me like maybe he thinks he's the Fonz or something. I don't know if that tells us anything about the male species but it is an observable trait that I've seen more than once. My point? Be on the lookout, even in subdivision areas. Now I've provided another public service announcement so it's time for me to say goodnight Gracie, one more time. Enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I'll do my best to see you again, come next Monday morning. Lord willing. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: