Friday, October 30, 2015

"The world is wrong side up. It needs to be turned upside down in order to be right side up." ~ Billy Sunday, professional baseball player turned influential American evangelist. (1862-1935)

It's Friday and yes, I do thank God that it is, but, I also thank Him for every Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday also. I know that most of you know the week begins on Sunday. Right? Monday is the second day of the new week and Friday is the day before the last day of the week, Saturday. Stay with me class. We honor our Savior on the first day of the week by joining together to bring honor and glory to Him because He rose from the dead on the First Day of the Week. I have, forever and ever, advised folks to start their week off right in order to have a good week and that would involve taking care to recognize Him on Sunday. Confused? Don't be yet. I still have more. This particular 6th day of the week lands on October 30, 2015. I'm not upset with those who get those x's on their eyes when I talk about the calendar in this way. Oh yeah. How did the first day of the week become the meeting time of the local assembly? That is a good question. It is certainly true that if our Christian influence is contained to only that one day then we have missed our calling and our mission. However, there is a reason we meet on Sundays. There are a number of Scriptures that indicate the early congregations gathered on the first day. Look them up. The last writing in the New Testament in most Bibles but also in my opinion chronologically is The Revelation of Jesus Christ. In that last writing we see the Apostle John saying this: "I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet,..." (The Revelation of Jesus Christ, Chapter 1, Verse 10) I am well aware there are stacks of books that address this issue and I've not attempted to be thorough, just sharing my thoughts. That's all. Nothing more.

I am not attempting to turn my daily visits into a theological journal. However, when stuff comes to me and I feel the urge to share I usually do. Am I opposed to people meeting on other days? Of course not. I'm just giving my thoughts. Again. Nothing more. Here's how you know when the politically correct culture is now living in an alternate universe. A major university in Wisconsin recently formally announced that the words politically correct are now deemed no longer culturally acceptable on campus. They reason that often people use this as a way of attacking people who some identify as being superficial and overly sensitive. Here's the deal: If someone is offended over something that in your opinion they shouldn't be, well, you cannot get off the hook by saying that person is a part of the politically correct culture. See how that stings? I am sorry but this stuff is just about as crazy as anything I have ever seen. But if that doesn't get you going here's another one. The famous well balanced news source, NPR, is currently running a story trying to find out the root cause of why ugly and often older women are represented as evil in the fairy tales from yesteryear. I see a class action suit coming. My understanding is tales like Hansel and Gretel are pervasive in almost every culture with different names but the same story thread. Sounds like the case will have to be heard in the United Nations. I would say we all need to just 'man up' but that saying is officially on the don't ask don't tell list. Or something like that. When folks ask what state I live in I might just have to say, the state of Confusion.

We now have the word police, the thought police, and more are being formed every day. Does it have an impact? A 12 year old girl from a local 7th grade recently testified before their district school board on an exercise her teacher required them to participate in. I'll not go into all the details but I did listen to the entire testimony and I read several different articles. The teacher essentially required the students to agree that God cannot be proved and to answer any other way would get them a failing grade. The little girl said her friend was so upset she cried. She and her friend answered that God was a fact, not an opinion or a myth. The teacher singled them out for their answers and marked them wrong before the class. The video has gone viral. Now the school board is saying the teacher was only trying to encourage critical thinking skills. Their statement is typical and it sounded to me like a public relations response as they attempted to gloss over and cover up exactly what these children were subjected to.  (The school board has now rejected the complaint of this young lady and sided with the teacher saying their investigation did not support her claims. However, they have removed that exercise from the classroom and it will not be used again.) Here's my take: You may think I'm just flailing my arms here and there on things like political correctness, word policing, and yes, even those who would outlaw certain thoughts, but, this one young lady gives an example of the reality of this stuff being implemented and integrated into our society. Sorry to end our time together on something like this but that's what I had on the front burner and that's why I served it up. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I will try to take a little time to refresh and maybe even lighten up a bit. I can't be sure. But I will try. Take care and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: