Wednesday, October 14, 2015

"Grandparents are similar to a piece of string - handy to have around and easily wrapped around the fingers of their grandchildren." - Author Unknown

Good morning and welcome, we've already bumped into a brand new day and said hello to Wednesday, October 14, 2015. I hope you and yours are well. Those girls are our twin seventeen year old granddaughters, Alesha and Amanda. That was their homecoming photo from last weekend. I don't even want to think about them being old enough to go to homecoming. Sorry. I just prefer not to even go there. I know. It will not change anything even if I choose to hide my head in the sand. What is it with old people? I look at that photo and see them as infants all snuggled up together. I see them running and jumping up into their Poppy's arms. I see them up on the stage singing with the other little ones at Church. Now we see them dealing with high school and working part time. We see them contemplating their future as they make their way forward. They are twins and they are close but they are also as different as day and night. What's an old sentimental Poppy to do? Pray for them day and night and continue to love them and to thank God for them. And, help them whenever and wherever I can. I think that about covers it. In so many ways they have more or less moved on but that's the natural course in life. The bottom line: I haven't moved on and pray God's very best into their lives. Amen.

I must have something in my eye when I write about stuff like those girls. It seems to happen every time. Old people. Just think. It wasn't that long ago I was still wondering what I would be when I grew up. Now I've grown older but I'm not certain if I've figured out the growing up part. After all, I am called Santa in many places where I go. The other day I was driving home and a lady pulled up beside me. She looked at me and a huge smile broke out. She then called her children and they leaned over the front seat and all of them were laughing and waving. I waved back, of course. Maybe it was the red cap and red shirt. Maybe it was the white beard. Maybe it was the thought that Christmas conjures up in our mind. While I listen to Christmas music of all kinds throughout the year, I do tend to get more serious about it as the countdown gets closer. I recently was listening to a random compilation on YouTube. The song list included old standards and a variety of newer ones as well. Then one of the older Peanuts Christmas segments played where Linus clues Charlie Brown in on the real meaning of the season. In that precious child voice he then quoted from the narrative about the Savior of the world being born as given in Luke's Gospel. That's a truth we all can embrace and one that gives us the hope of eternal life. Amen.

I've heard that adage all my life, "You're only as old as you feel." Really? That's the best they could come up with? I suppose headed for that door marked 70 has given me more insight into that particular sentiment. One thing I do know. God has been good to me. There's much that has happened during my days here that I do not understand but I do know that He does. I am very much aware of things that I have brought upon myself and can testify that He has continued to love and care for me despite my failings. We were asked to read some particular Bible passages this week. The one we read on Monday was the 139th Division of the Psalms. That's the inspired word given through David that speaks to God's attention to the minute details in the life of those who are His own. From before birth until that time when we are in His presence forever, He fulfills His promises to never leave us nor forsake us. No matter what. Thinking about David's life we are aware of his great accomplishments along with his many failures. However, God never quit on him. Even when he was out of God's will, he never failed to continue to be God's own dear child. That was some powerful revealed truth to David and it is for you and I today. Here's something we all can use: Take some time and think on those things. Take care and may God bless us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: